• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How does BR WAR work?

they make positional adjustments to dWAR every year.  Subtracting 7 runs for corner OF positions or about 0.7 WAR.  But when they calculate the total, they do it prior to making the positional adjustment and then perform that adjustment just once.  

The opposite example is ozzie smith.  47.8 oWAR, 43.4 dWAR but his total WAR is 76.5

5 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

I happened to be looking at the career on Dwight Evans on BR when I noticed that he had an oWAR of 59.7 and a dWAR of -4.6. Yet his overall WAR is 66. How is that possible? How is that figured?

oWAR and dWar aren't mean to be added.   There are different positional adjustments made based on a player's position -- so, you can correctly compare a guy's oWar and dWar .vs weighted averages.   bWAR (BR WAR), tries to measure all players against each other -- there is a positional adjustment made, but it's a more generic adjustment .vs the single season weighted adjustment 

Basically --  oWAR and dWAR try to measure those parts of the game more closely (single year basis) than the more generic bWAR.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Common Core math.

NIAGRA FALLS!!  Slowly I turn and say......

That's because math became too fucking hard because you had to memorize times tables and do long division.  The potential for awarding accomplishments became too difficult because not every child wanted to do the hard work necessary to learn foundation math and parents did not want to have the friendships with their children compromised because of the possibility of being an adult.  Now we have fucktards who use phone calculators to do simple math coming up with wrong answers explaining to everyone "that's what the calculator/phone said so it must be right."

Sorry, I went away for minutes but have returned....everything is good again.

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

NIAGRA FALLS!!  Slowly I turn and say......

That's because math became too fucking hard because you had to memorize times tables and do long division.  The potential for awarding accomplishments became too difficult because not every child wanted to do the hard work necessary to learn foundation math and parents did not want to have the friendships with their children compromised because of the possibility of being an adult.  Now we have fucktards who use phone calculators to do simple math coming up with wrong answers explaining to everyone "that's what the calculator/phone said so it must be right."

Sorry, I went away for minutes but have returned....everything is good again.

he wrote common core math.  not meth.  

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

they make positional adjustments to dWAR every year.  Subtracting 7 runs for corner OF positions or about 0.7 WAR.  But when they calculate the total, they do it prior to making the positional adjustment and then perform that adjustment just once.  

The opposite example is ozzie smith.  47.8 oWAR, 43.4 dWAR but his total WAR is 76.5

using the OJOS calculations. my analysis led me to the decis that Ozzie Smith was a great shortstop