• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Catchers

LAAMike

the only way the backup catcher hurts us is if Iannetta gets hurt

The talk has been about Iannetta making 115 starts at catcher - assuming he doesn't get hurt. Having Drew Butera start close to 50 games for us sounds really really bad.

Edited by Oz27

I think getting rid of Conger was pretty f*****g dumb. Also LAAMike---get your spelling right.

Given regular playing time, being a younger guy, I think Conger had the possibility of performing as well as ---if not better--- than Iannetta both offensively and defensively. Kid had his head on straight, he had some pop, he was a switch hitter! He had some things to learn but eff it give him a shot, with experience the speed and skills would come. 

Our lack of quality catchers has been hurting us for a while. And IMO Iannetta is not one of the elite. A strong catcher silently, but strongly, gets it done.

I am going to miss Conger.

Conger is batting .143 this spring with 8 k's. 

The Angels got a catcher of pretty much equal value (or at least very close to it) AND a pretty good pitching prospect for Hank Conger.

This is the greatest trade any human being has ever made in the history of ever. JD basically traded Hank Conger for Hank Conger and a pitcher.

You're right about the playing time thing Oz. It's a concern; but unfortunately quality backup catchers that can put up decent numbers on offense are an extremely scarce commodity.

That's true. Perez probably isn't a "quality backup catcher" but he's surely better than Butera. I'd be much more comfortable with him getting 40 or 50 starts than Butera.

" Our lack of quality catchers has been hurting us for a while. And IMO Iannetta is not one of the elite. A strong catcher silently, but strongly, gets it done."

i'm still trying to figure out what this means

It means that even if we can't see his contributions, they are there. It's a variation on the same empty line we were fed when Mathis was playing more than half the games even though one of us could have matched his offensive production.