• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Autonomous Driving Car

A buddy of mine works at Facebook HQ. He just posted these pictures of their new autonomous driving car that takes people around to different parts of the "campus". No driver and completely electric. He also posted a video also but I can't figure out how to put that on here so the pictures will do. The future ****ing rules.

1797973_10102874928222651_83801642687150

10672183_10102874928302491_6398114072334

10665901_10102874928447201_2360356731099

I have actually heard several science-types say that we really aren't *that* far off from totally self-driving vehicles that communicate with one another and may drive in pods to reduce traffic.

IMO, so many things wrong with what the science types have said.  first you need to communicate with other vehicles.  What if, like 90% of vehicles out there, they can't communicate?  Drive in pods.  So what happens when someone cuts into that pod?  And don't say it will never happen, because I've seen cars cut through 3 lanes of traffic before, trying to get to an offramp 100 feet away.  Heck, just cars trying to merge left right to get off on freeways.  Does a pod recognize like a human can that a car is trying to merge in, especially when it seems like 50% of cars out there didn't purchase the optional turn signals?  

In a closed environment, I think self driving cars would work well.  But once you put humans into the equation, well, as the old saying goes.  Once you make something idiot proof, someone invents a better idiot.  And there are a lot of idiots on the roads with and without licenses.

it seems like this kind of car would work best if all the other cars on the road were the same kind of car. as long as there are human drivers, something like this won't really work on the kind and loving freeways of a place like LA.

IMO, so many things wrong with what the science types have said. first you need to communicate with other vehicles. What if, like 90% of vehicles out there, they can't communicate? Drive in pods. So what happens when someone cuts into that pod? And don't say it will never happen, because I've seen cars cut through 3 lanes of traffic before, trying to get to an offramp 100 feet away. Heck, just cars trying to merge left right to get off on freeways. Does a pod recognize like a human can that a car is trying to merge in, especially when it seems like 50% of cars out there didn't purchase the optional turn signals?

In a closed environment, I think self driving cars would work well. But once you put humans into the equation, well, as the old saying goes. Once you make something idiot proof, someone invents a better idiot. And there are a lot of idiots on the roads with and without licenses.

It seems crazy to me too, but just look at how far cars have come the last 50 years.

As for cutting people off while driving in pods, I think the idea is that the cars would be self-driven, with little/no human control. People therefore wouldn't be able to cut each other off.

IMO, so many things wrong with what the science types have said.  first you need to communicate with other vehicles.  What if, like 90% of vehicles out there, they can't communicate?  Drive in pods.  So what happens when someone cuts into that pod?  And don't say it will never happen, because I've seen cars cut through 3 lanes of traffic before, trying to get to an offramp 100 feet away .  Heck, just cars trying to merge left right to get off on freeways.  Does a pod recognize like a human can that a car is trying to merge in, especially when it seems like 50% of cars out there didn't purchase the optional turn signals?  

In a closed environment, I think self driving cars would work well.  But once you put humans into the equation, well, as the old saying goes.  Once you make something idiot proof, someone invents a better idiot.  And there are a lot of idiots on the roads with and without licenses.

Some of us call that skill.

Edited by deepdrive