• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Way over simplified, but . . .

Michifan

I actually think the series was lost and won on two defensive plays. For the Royals it was the amazing catch of Howie's drive by Aoki. It got past Cain, which few hits had. If Aoki doesn't make that play, two runs score in the sixth inning, and there is no extra innings. Angels win game one. The other is Trout's misplay of Gordon's hit. It would not have been an easy play, but good defense was needed to neutralize the Royals as they were neutralizing the Angels. If Trout makes that catch, the Royals don't score their second run, and again no extra innings and the Angels win game one. I'm not sure how that might have changed the series, but I think the real difference for the Royals overall was defense rather than offense. Angels made some key mistakes that hurt them--others such as Iannetta's throws--yikes. 

Even in game three, if Cain doesn't make two spectacular catches that rob Pujols and Kendrick in the 5th. Both were well-hit. Cain gambled, especially on Pujols. If he doesn't catch it, it likely goes past him to the wall and two runs score, Pujols on second with one out. I think Cain's defense makes him the MVP of the ALDS series and the difference in the series. 

That's not to take away the suckage of the Angels offense in the three games or the poor pitching in game 3, but the Royals defense defined the series. Credit them for that. 

Edited by Michifan

I actually think the series was lost and won on two defensive plays. For the Royals it was the amazing catch of Howie's drive by Aoki. It got past Cain, which few hits had. If Aoki doesn't make that play, two runs score in the sixth inning, and there is no extra innings. Angels win game one. The other is Trout's misplay of Gordon's hit. It would not have been an easy play, but good defense was needed to neutralize the Royals as they were neutralizing the Angels. If Trout makes that catch, the Royals don't score their second run, and again no extra innings and the Angels win game one. I'm not sure how that might have changed the series, but I think the real difference for the Royals overall was defense rather than offense. Angels made some key mistakes that hurt them--others such as Iannetta's throws--yikes. 

don't forget Calhoun's misplay in game two which was the only earned run the Angels gave up for 10 innings.