• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Playoffs and Angels Lineup Decisons

instant karma

Going into the playoffs, I'm interested to see what Scioscia decides to do concerning CJ Wilson and Hamilton (assuming Hamilton is healthy).  

Wilson, when good, can be a solid number 2 behind Weaver.  Regrettably, CJ's not good that often.  

Based on numbers, you can make an argument that CJ has been their 4th best pitcher this year behind Weaver, Shoemaker, and Santiago.  I'm basing that on ERA and walks per nine innings.  You can make an argument that CJ should not get a start in the playoffs.  That probably won't happen.

If Scioscia decides to slot CJ in the number 2 hole, I suspect (or hope) he'll have a VERY short leash, because when he's bad, he's very bad. 

Is it just me, or is the Angels offense more potent with Hamilton out of the lineup and Cowgill in?  This isn't the MVP Hamilton we're seeing.  

With Cowgill, we have better defense and more speed.  Clearly Cowgill doesn't have Hamilton's power potential, but until Hamilton begins to resemble the player we saw in Texas, we may be better off offensively and defensively with Cowgill in the fiield and someone like Navarro in the DH.  At least, that's what I think.

What do you guys and gals think?

Who will be the 8th reliever to join the Magnificant Seven in the post-season?

Thatcher has a lot of work to do.

Pestano has shown glimpses of the 2011-12 version, except for the Wednesday game (3 for 3 baserunners allowed, including 2 BBs).

Bedrock Jr. has gotten better, but in limited sample size.

Diaz is a beast, if he throws strikes.

Roth has not been good at the MLB level.

LeBlanc is better lately, but still a big question mark.

Can't believe we are relying on Hamilton and CJ, the two douches from Texas, to carry us in the playoffs.

I wouldn't put anything on the shoulders of those two guys. I'd bat Hamilton probably 5th after Howie, even though Cowgill is a spark plug. 

CJ is the fourth starter at best, and likely only pitches in the ALCS if we get there. 

I would slot Hamilton in the sixth spot with Kendrick and Aybar before him.

The offense is exploding with Howie batting cleanup. Don't mess with that.

But you're basing that on the way Howie is hitting right now. Remember how streaky he is, and how historically he has struggled in the clean-up spot. 3 weeks from now he could be ice cold, and given his streaky nature, I'd say there's a pretty good chance of that. I'm still hoping Hamilton comes back within the next week and doesn't look clueless.

The 25 man playoff roster will likely be:

1b Pujols

1b/OF Navarro

2b Kendrick

SS Aybar

3b Freese

3b Beckham

IF Mcdonald

C Iannetta

C Conger

RF Calhoun

CF Trout

LF Hamilton

OF Cowgill

SP Weaver

SP Wilson

SP Shoemaker

SP Santiago

RP Salas

RP Smith

RP Jepsen

RP Street

RP Morin

RP Grilli

The final two roster spots will go to two of Green/Cron/Rasmus.

Got to go with Green and Rasmus. Green is the better offensive player and can play defense if necessary. Rasmus has earned his spot. I wouldn't mess with the pen as they are the ones who will give us the title.

now I do not think the teams needs both Beckham and McDonald. So if you want Cronin there is another spot available.

The 25 man playoff roster will likely be:

1b Pujols

1b/OF Navarro

2b Kendrick

SS Aybar

3b Freese

3b Beckham

IF Mcdonald

C Iannetta

C Conger

RF Calhoun

CF Trout

LF Hamilton

OF Cowgill

SP Weaver

SP Wilson

SP Shoemaker

SP Santiago

RP Salas

RP Smith

RP Jepsen

RP Street

RP Morin

RP Grilli

The final two roster spots will go to two of Green/Cron/Rasmus.

I'd probably start CJ on a VERY short leash with Rasmus warming up, personally.  It's pretty clear just a few batters in whether CJ has it or not.  If it looks like he's going to struggle, get Rasmus up and make it a "bullpen start."  Obviously you won't have the flexibility you do now due to the 40 man roster but I think CJ at least has the potential to pitch well and if he doesn't then the bullpen is good enough to bail him out.

Nate, that is the exact way I see it as well. The only thing that changes that is if Hamilton or someone else goes down with an injury. Then we might see them carry Campana, and he would be my pick over Cron. I just don't see a spot for Cron on the team, unless they decide not to keep Beckham. Campana is a one trick pony, but that is a pretty valuable trick when you have guys like Pujols and Freese, who can't run and are questionable to score on a single from second. If we had better starting pitching then you could see us carrying one less arm in the pen.

I'd like to experiment with this lineup after we clinch:

Kendrick

Trout

Calhoun 

Pujols 

Hamilton

Iannetta

Aybar

Freese

Cowgill (one of Hamilton or Pujols at DH)

Kendrick did well at leadoff to start the year. Trout does better offensively when not batting immediately in front of Pujols.

Edited by ScottLux

Something to consider though: The Halos don't have starters who stretch out innings in their starts. That plus the DH being used for all but the middle 3 WS games in the NL park would seem to scream out 12 pitchers and 13 position players being carried in the post-season.

You can change your roster between series. So there's no need to worry about the WS roster for the division series.

Pretty sure they will go with 12 pitchers (4 starters, 8 relievers) and Rasmus will be one of them

Pretty sure they will keep Beckham and not McDonald

Hard to say exactly what else they'd do since there are two weeks to go. Cron for example wouldn't make it today since he's been banged up and hasn't played much. Two weeks from now, who knows?

Who they are playing also matters, number of lefty and righty starters they'll face. Whether there's a LH closer (Oakland, Baltimore), etc.

But you're basing that on the way Howie is hitting right now. Remember how streaky he is, and how historically he has struggled in the clean-up spot. 3 weeks from now he could be ice cold, and given his streaky nature, I'd say there's a pretty good chance of that.

Historically Kendrick has an. 803 OPS hitting out of the clean up spot.