• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should we try to acquire another ace mid-season?

I think our season could depend on whether or not we do.  We have enough to make the posteason imo.  I think the offense and young arms will come through.  The problem is we are very short handed in the postseason unless one of the young starters show drastic improvement.  If I had to guess Richards would probably be the likeliest breakout candidate.

There should be someone available near the deadline however.  Im wondering what prospects we could give up.  

They should trade Howie for a near major league ready SP prospect. I'm not sure what "ace" pitcher they could even get. If they were to acquire some big time arm, I always figure it would be somebody like a Cliff Lee. A really good pitcher making too much money on a bad team and that team tries to dump the contract(or a good portion of it) to the Halos. For the record, I wouldn't want them to do to that

When it comes to somebody like Price, Halos would get surpassed by teams with much more to offer as far as prospects go

The biggest issue with the Angels regarding their future has to be Jered Weaver. Lots of folks are focusing on Richards, Santiago and Skaggs as though their youth is a bad thing. In reality it's quite a good position to be in to have 3 pitchers as good as they are, as young as they are and as cheap as they are.

Weav on the other hand has gotten away with a lot because of his delivery, off speed pitches and control. The problem is that he got away with a lot back when he threw only 90-91. Now he's on the wrong end of 30 and is only throwing 87. He may have just enough to thrive at that speed, but if he loses any more velocity, it's going to make things very hard on him to succeed.

The Angels will need an ace, likely by next year. But there are a few desirable FA SP next winter, or any one of Richards, Santago or Slaggs can help negate that absence with strong campaigns. But if they do end up trading for a starter, it'll likely wait until winter. The asking price at the trade deadline is almost always inflated.

Masterson next off-season could be that guy.

He's on the verge of going Scherzer on the AL: big K guy in 2013 (8th in Ks) and the best GB guy in the AL. Two of his past 3 seasons have been very good.

Richards has a similar skill set to Masterson, if he had pitched just 17 more innings, he would have been right there with Masterson for the best GB/FB ratio in the AL. Like Masterson, he can touch mid to upper 90s.