• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Dodgers blow out Angels in prospect showcase game

TEMPE, Ariz. — The Dodgers, who have boasted a more highly regarded farm system than the Angels for more than a decade, have bragging rights after the inaugural Spring Breakout matchup.

A team of Dodgers prospects beat a team of Angels prospects, 8-1, on Saturday at Tempe Diablo Stadium.

Thayron Liranzo, a 20-year-old catcher who was playing first base, belted a two-run homer as part of a four-run second inning. Liranzo is ranked as the Dodgers’ 12th best prospect by Baseball America. A switch-hitter, Liranzo was hitting from the left side when he blasted the homer to right.

The game was part of a series in which Major League Baseball pitted prospect teams against one another.

Players who are already on 40-man rosters could opt out of playing in the game. Angels first baseman Nolan Schanuel, for example, is technically their top prospect because he maintains rookie eligibility. He’s been playing in big league spring training games because he’s slated to be the Angels everyday first baseman.

Dodgers catcher Daulton Rushing, who is rated by Baseball America as their No. 1 prospect, did play in the game, batting third. Rushing singled, walked and struck out in three trips to the plate.

The Dodgers used two other players ranked by Baseball America in the organization’s top 10: outfielder Josue De Paula (No. 5) and left-hander Jackson Ferris (No. 9). De Paula had two hits and two RBIs.

Center fielder Kendall George (No. 14) had a double and a triple.

As for the Angels, even though Schanuel didn’t play, they still used five of their top 10 prospects: outfielder Nelson Rada (No. 2), right-hander Caden Dana (No. 3), infielder Kyren Paris (No. 5), right-hander Jack Kochanowicz (No. 9) and shortstop Denzer Guzman (No. 10).

Dana started on the mound for the Angels and worked two scoreless innings, striking out three.

Dana, a 20-year-old who was taken in the 2022 draft, was already in big league camp, so pitching in front of a crowd at Tempe Diablo Stadium was nothing new.

“I definitely treated it the same (as a big league exhibition game),” Dana said. “It’s definitely just as important. I think it was just cool, going against the prospects of another team.”

Dana fared better than Kochanowicz, who followed him to the mound. The Dodgers scored six runs against Kochanowicz in 1-2/3 innings.

Rada was 1 for 3 with a stolen base. Paris was 0 for 3 with 2 strikeouts. Guzman was 0 for 4 with a two strikeouts.

View the full article

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I wonder if they'll even bother doing this again next year? I know MLB.com and the MLB Network were pushing it hard, but I never really got the sense that fans were that excited by it. You see a lot of these guys in regular spring training games, anyway, so it didn't seem that special to me. 🤷‍♂️

It was kinda dumb in all honestly for the exact reason you stated. 

Im sure it’s an attempt to get a little more hype for a spring game but really nobody cared any more for it. 

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I wonder if they'll even bother doing this again next year? I know MLB.com and the MLB Network were pushing it hard, but I never really got the sense that fans were that excited by it. You see a lot of these guys in regular spring training games, anyway, so it didn't seem that special to me. 🤷‍♂️

I’m probably deeper into the Angels minor leagues than 99% of fans, yet this was quite boring to me.

The lineup the Angels ran out there was bad.

Dana was cool, so is Rada. But the system beyond that isn’t good and it was evident. A 6th round pick last year was hitting 3rd.

3 minutes ago, BTH said:

I’m probably deeper into the Angels minor leagues than 99% of fans, yet this was quite boring to me.

The lineup the Angels ran out there was bad.

Dana was cool, so is Rada. But the system beyond that isn’t good and it was evident. A 6th round pick last year was hitting 3rd.

But even with Dana and Rada, that's kinda my point: we've seen them plenty in regular games. 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

But even with Dana and Rada, that's kinda my point: we've seen them plenty in regular games. 

agreed.

not sure it it was different for other teams, with deeper farm systems and talent not concentrated close to the majors.

17 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Dodgers farm system : Angels farm system :: Sydney Sweeney : Melissa McCarthy

It feels like we've had a bottom 3 farm system for about a decade, so you could probably pick 25+ other teams as well as the Dodgers and say the same thing.