• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

WS Hypothetical

Torridd

Continuing to be optimistic, my question is if the team wins it all next year and Thor is a big part of that, should we try to re-sign him? My scenario is that we signed another starter (Stroman, Ray, Gausman, whomever) and probably re-signed Raisel so Arte has a LOT of high salaries to pay for. Do you think he should shell out the money for Thor to try to repeat in '23? Do you think Shohei should/would be a higher priority? Would it be feasible/possible to extend both?

Too many moving parts to answer that question. The big one: How did Syndergaard pitch? Was he healthy? And then the young guys: How did Sandoval, Suarez, Canning, Detmers, Rodriguez, Daniel, Bachman, etc, develop? And thirdly, do they have the money, which is tied to whether or not they were able to extend Ohtani.

I mean, there's a scenario where they reach the WS but Syndergaard is mediocre and/or injured, but several of the young guys really step up, and maybe whoever the Angels target next (e.g. Ray) has a good year, and Thor is superfluous to their plans for 2023 and beyond.

That said, I think the main determining factor is whether they sign another pitcher or not. If they sign Ray or Stroman, chances are they just won't have the money for a long-term Syndergaard contract.

29 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

This question reminds me of when Angels signed Pujols and there was literally a thread pontificating whether Pujols would be a better angel than Salmon.  

And how many World Series appearances it guaranteed. I remember one idiot* set the O/U at 2.5. 

*me