• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Quick rundown of possible Angels first-pick

Baseball America posted it's top 100 prospects for the 2013 draft: http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2013-top-100-draft-prospects-may-10-jonathan-gray-tops-mark-appel-for-top-sot/

Let's take a look at the picks before and after the Angels selection at 59.

53 Chad Pinder, 3b, Virginia Tech 54 Blake Taylor, lhp, Dana Hills HS, Dana Point, Calif. 55 Travis Demerritte, 3b, Winder-Barrow HS, Winder, Ga. 56 Riley Unroe, ss, Desert Ridge HS, Mesa, Ariz. 57 Josh Hart, of, Parkview HS, Lilburn, Ga. 58 Ryan Boldt, of, Red Wing (Minn.) HS 59 Dillon Overton, lhp, Oklahoma 60 Kent Emanuel, lhp, North Carolina 61 Dustin Peterson, 3b, Gilbert (Ariz.) HS 62 Jordan Paroubeck, of, Serra HS, San Mateo, Calif. 63 Dom Nunez, c, Elk Grove (Calif.) HS 64 Rowdy Tellez, 1b, Elk Grove (Calif.) HS 65 Garrett Williams, lhp, Calvary Baptist HS, Shreveport, La.

Assuming the Angels take a pitcher (I strongly believe they will, from what I've heard), let's examine the 4 left-handed pitchers in this list.

• Blake Taylor LHP - Dana Point HS - 18 years old

- Works more in the 88-91 range, developing off-speed pitches with potential to be +.  This pick would be mostly one of those high risk/reward picks, banking on his left-handed talent and big body.  May not be around by the time the Halos pick.  Committed to Hawaii.

• Dillon Overton LHP - OK - 21 years old

-Overton has a small frame and works with 3 solid pitches.  Low 90s fastball, tight slider and a workable change up.  He was (and still is) sidelined with a forearm strain but it isn't considered serious.  + pitch-ability, sort of a safe pick with a 3-5 rotation projection. 26th round pick for Boston after his high-school career in 2010.

•   Kent Emanuel LHP - N Carolina - 21 years old by draft day

- Big manly body - 6'4 230 range.  90-93 on his fastball with a much improved curve ball and great change up.  Put up great college stats for the Tar Heels and is a strike-thrower.  Only complaint here is that he sometimes has trouble repeating his mechanics.  He works with a lot of arms and elbows.  May shoot up to the 1st round.  Originally taken in the 19th round in the 2010 draft.

• Garrett Williams LHP - Calvary Chapel HS - 18 years old

- Might be a first-baseman but has great stuff for an 18 year old.  Sits in the low 90s with a huge curveball, but not much else.  Might be destined for the bullpen eventually.  Committed to OK State. 

Wonder if the Angels would be ballsy enough to take Karsten Whitson.  Was supposed to be a top 3 overall pick but had shoulder problems that kept him out the whole year.  Big RHP with huge stuff but the injury concerns are there, and he wants to go back for a senior year.  Still would be incredible value.

Cron's little brother isn't eligible until next year right?  I haven't paid as much attention to the college ranks this year as I did last year.  I'm sure I'll get started on my homework here in a couple weeks.  Certainly before the College World Series and draft come.

• 3 weeks later...

I asked my contact about draft strategy, he answered with a laugh and repeated "draft strategy?".  Just my own novice observation but young starting pitchers seem to be the most likely to be scooped up.  I've asked around and have done some homework, it's supposedly a weaker draft class and more so than usual, most of the talent appears to be coming from the West Coast again. 

I'm hoping the Angels scoop up Dylan Covey.  I liked him coming out of high school, and while his fastball didn't develop the way I'd hope it would, consistently at 89-90, he has a fringe-plus curve, slider and change.  

I asked my contact about draft strategy, he answered with a laugh and repeated "draft strategy?".  Just my own novice observation but young starting pitchers seem to be the most likely to be scooped up.  I've asked around and have done some homework, it's supposedly a weaker draft class and more so than usual, most of the talent appears to be coming from the West Coast again. 

I'm hoping the Angels scoop up Dylan Covey.  I liked him coming out of high school, and while his fastball didn't develop the way I'd hope it would, consistently at 89-90, he has a fringe-plus curve, slider and change.  

Didn't the angels draft him out of HS?

I like Tom Windle out of Minnesota, although I'm not sure I like the odds that he would drop far enough. Overton seems like a nice choice as well.

Also like Adam Plutko or Nick Vander Tuig, both from UCLA, as guy(s) to grab a couple rounds later.