• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Lux, Miller lead Dodgers past Angels in Game 1 of Freeway Series

• Shohei Ohtani #17 of the Los Angeles Dodgers strikes out...

Shohei Ohtani #17 of the Los Angeles Dodgers strikes out against the Los Angeles Angels in the fourth inning of an exhibition baseball game at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/ SCNG)

• Yoshihiro Sonoda interpreter for pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto smiles during a...

Yoshihiro Sonoda interpreter for pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto smiles during a exhibition baseball game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Los Angeles Angels at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/ SCNG)

• Relief pitcher Michael Grove #78 of the Los Angeles Dodgers...

Relief pitcher Michael Grove #78 of the Los Angeles Dodgers throws to the plate agains the Los Angeles Angels in the fifth inning of a exhibition baseball game at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/ SCNG)

• Relief pitcher Michael Grove #78 of the Los Angeles Dodgers...

Relief pitcher Michael Grove #78 of the Los Angeles Dodgers throws to the plate agains the Los Angeles Angels in the fifth inning of a exhibition baseball game at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/ SCNG)

• Yoshihiro Sonoda interpreter for pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto smiles during a...

Yoshihiro Sonoda interpreter for pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto smiles during a exhibition baseball game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Los Angeles Angels at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles on Sunday, March 24, 2024. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/ SCNG)

of

Expand

LOS ANGELES — Gavin Lux had two RBI, Bobby Miller threw 4 2/3 scoreless innings, and the Dodgers opened the Freeway Series with a 5-3 win over the Angels on Sunday.

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said before the game that Miller would start on Friday in the second game of the four-game home opening series against the St. Louis Cardinals.

Miller then followed up the announcement with a strong outing, showing he could handle duties higher up in the rotation if 25-year-old Japanese import Yoshinobu Yamamoto needs time to acclimate.

“I think I’m taking the right steps to be where I needed to be,” Miller said. “Changeup wasn’t too good early in the game, but I picked it up a little bit later in the game.”

The Dodgers’ bats came to life with four runs in the second inning. Jason Heyward doubled to the warning track, driving in Will Smith for the opening run. Lux backed it up with a two-run single, and Freddie Freeman drew a bases-loaded walk.

Angels starter Griffin Canning had to work from behind in the inning after hitting hit leadoff batter Smith in the left shoulder.

“I felt like I had most of my pitches working for me, but those guys are such good hitters, you just got to keep mixing it up and keep them on their toes,” Canning said.

Shohei Ohtani’s first home exhibition game in blue at Dodger Stadium was a nondescript affair, though his first at-bat featured a small taste of the excitement expected from the $700 million two-way star.

After walking up to Bruno Mars’ “24K Magic” and its declaration that “it’s show time,” Ohtani made contact on the second pitch he saw. The fly ball initially drew oohs before turning into disappointed ahhs falling into the glove of left fielder Taylor Ward.

Ohtani went 0-for-2 with a walk and a strikeout.

“It was fun,” Canning said of facing his former teammate. “Obviously really good to see him. I think once you get in the game, you’re competitive. Like I don’t want to give up a hit to him, and her wants to get a hit off me.”

The bigger news from Ohtani came before the game when it was confirmed he would address the allegations involving illegal gambling and theft around his former interpreter, Ippei Mizuhara, for the first time on Monday.

They will be Ohtani’s first public remarks since Mizuhara was fired on Wednesday for allegedly betting on sports through an illegal bookmaker.

The Angeles made it interesting with three runs in the seventh inning. Zach Neto, Miguel Sano, and Jake Marisnick each had an RBI.

But the Dodgers pushed their cushion to 5-3 on a sacrifice fly by Kike Hernandez that allowed Trey Sweeney to score.

View the full article