• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Watching my NFL team win

Hubs

makes me realize even more how badly the Angels have been run. 

I am usually an optimist with the Angels and other than Nevin, who I felt was unqualified and undeserving when Maddon was fired, I've been pretty positive with most moves. I liked Perry at first, but I didn't like Perry after Joe's book came out which detailed overreaching and infighting and there has been a lot of drama in the Angels organization over the past 7-8 seasons....

But back to the NFL comparison...

Arte is John York. A good businessman that has no idea how to run a professional sports team. He hired some bad coaches and bad executives over his two decades of control, 

As a 49ers fan, when Eddie D owned the team John McVay and Carmen Policy were the GM's and Bill Walsh and George Seifert were the coaches the 49ers were riding high. 5 Super Bowl wins in 14 seasons from 1981-1995. With the advent of the salary cap era in 1993 (and free agency) it was a bit harder to build a consistent winner. 

But they did great until Eddie DeBartolo was caught up in a bribery scandal (he was not ever charged with bribery), but he ceded control of his shares of the team to his sister and her husband in 2000. After Walsh and Seifert, the 49ers had hit a bit of rough patch with Steve Mariucci as coach and McVay had retired and Policy left for the expansion Browns, (His partnership with 49ers owner Eddie DeBartolo ended in the late 1990s due to "mistrust and front-office power plays" -- sound familiar?)

Suddenly the 49ers, who had been the best run organization in the sport, were in turmoil. Then 12 seasons passed. with multiple GM's and head coaches, from Dennis Erickson to Mike Nolan to Mike Singletary and the 49ers made the playoffs once.

Then they hired Jim Harbaugh and Trent Baalke was promoted and the team went though a short-lived period of success, until they were fighting near constantly and the locker room was fractured, they fired Harbaugh and hired two more one and done coaches desperately seeking to recapture their short lived success. The locker room and organization were not stable and then Baalke was fired along with their 2-14 Head Coach Chip Kelly...

York's son, Jed had been given defacto control of the team, but they were known to have a dysfunctional front office and they leaked and it wasn't a well run team under Baalke.

They fixed it with a pair of moves, before the 2017 season. They were looking for a new GM to pair with presumed head coach in waiting Kyle Shanahan. John Lynch had been on the Fox crew for the Atlanta-Seattle Divisional game in 2016-7 playoffs. He was impressed with Shanahan's play calling and had of course played in Denver for his Dad. According to this article from 49erswebzone.com, "One day, something compelled Lynch to call Shanahan. The offensive coordinator shared that he was trying to find the right person to work with and serve as San Francisco's new general manager. Shanahan was having difficulty finding the right fit."

"Without hesitation, I said, 'Well, what about me?'" Lynch commented"

(https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/147321-john-lynch-shares-story-what-drew-49ers-shanahan/)

And they eventually hired him, giving him a 6 year contract, and Shanahan's contract matched that length. They were in it together. And they worked with new owner and heir, Jed York, in concert and with his approval and blessing. Supposedly Lynch told York during his interview, that if it got leaked before they agreed on anything that he was considering this, he would turn down the job. 

In the 6 years since, the 49ers have built a powerhouse, there have been some ups and downs, but they remain in lockstep and the team is built to be a Super Bowl contender year after year.

The Angels need the same thing. They need their owner, whether it's Arte or someone else, to hire a guy to run things and stay out of the way. They need a manager who works with the GM in lockstep, as a team, and they need to build a world class organization. 

If they do that, perhaps they will have the success the 49ers have had recently. If not..

As a NY Giants fan, I echo Jason's feelings. Despite winning Super Bowls in 2008 and 2011, the Giants fell off a cliff right after, and have not been relevant since. This timeline of irrelevancy has matched up with the Angels, leaving me with nothing to root for other than the Rangers in hockey. 

Thank god the NHL season is long

20 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I am usually an optimist with the Angels and other than Nevin, who I felt was unqualified and undeserving when Maddon was fired, I've been pretty positive with most moves. I liked Perry at first, but I didn't like Perry after Joe's book came out which detailed overreaching and infighting and there has been a lot of drama in the Angels organization over the past 7-8 seasons....

Arte is John York. A good businessman that has no idea how to run a professional sports team. He hired some bad coaches and bad executives over his two decades of control, 

As a 49ers fan, when Eddie D owned the team John McVay and Carmen Policy were the GM's and Bill Walsh and George Seifert were the coaches the 49ers were riding high. 5 Super Bowl wins in 14 seasons from 1981-1995. With the advent of the salary cap era in 1993 (and free agency) it was a bit harder to build a consistent winner. 

But they did great until Eddie DeBartolo was caught up in a bribery scandal (he was not ever charged with bribery), but he ceded control of his shares of the team to his sister and her husband in 2000. After Walsh and Seifert, the 49ers had hit a bit of rough patch with Steve Mariucci as coach and McVay had retired and Policy left for the expansion Browns, (His partnership with 49ers owner Eddie DeBartolo ended in the late 1990s due to "mistrust and front-office power plays" -- sound familiar?)

Suddenly the 49ers, who had been the best run organization in the sport, were in turmoil. Then 12 seasons passed. with multiple GM's and head coaches, from Dennis Erickson to Mike Nolan to Mike Singletary and the 49ers made the playoffs once.

Then they hired Jim Harbaugh and Trent Baalke was promoted and the team went though a short-lived period of success, until they were fighting near constantly and the locker room was fractured, they fired Harbaugh and hired two more one and done coaches desperately seeking to recapture their short lived success. The locker room and organization were not stable and then Baalke was fired along with their 2-14 Head Coach Chip Kelly...

York's son, Jed had been given defacto control of the team, but they were known to have a dysfunctional front office and they leaked and it wasn't a well run team under Baalke.

They fixed it with a pair of moves, before the 2017 season. They were looking for a new GM to pair with presumed head coach in waiting Kyle Shanahan. John Lynch had been on the Fox crew for the Atlanta-Seattle Divisional game in 2016-7 playoffs. He was impressed with Shanahan's play calling and had of course played in Denver for his Dad. According to this article from 49erswebzone.com, "One day, something compelled Lynch to call Shanahan. The offensive coordinator shared that he was trying to find the right person to work with and serve as San Francisco's new general manager. Shanahan was having difficulty finding the right fit."

(https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/147321-john-lynch-shares-story-what-drew-49ers-shanahan/)

And they eventually hired him, giving him a 6 year contract, and Shanahan's contract matched that length. They were in it together. And they worked with new owner and heir, Jed York, in concert and with his approval and blessing. Supposedly Lynch told York during his interview, that if it got leaked before they agreed on anything that he was considering this, he would turn down the job. 

In the 6 years since, the 49ers have built a powerhouse, there have been some ups and downs, but they remain in lockstep and the team is built to be a Super Bowl contender year after year.

The Angels need the same thing. They need their owner, whether it's Arte or someone else, to hire a guy to run things and stay out of the way. They need a manager who works with the GM in lockstep, as a team, and they need to build a world class organization. 

If they do that, perhaps they will have the success the 49ers have had recently. If not..

Great recap! 

I'm also a long time Niner fan. Going back to the John Brodie days. One of my fondest memories was going to their training camp in the nineties and watching all the training and drills the players went through. It gave a real insight into preparation and discipline. 

You are totally correct about everything flowing from ownership. 

Frustrating that after all these years Arte still operates with the same mindset and approach. He really needs to stop interfering and just find the best baseball minds and let them do their work.

5 hours ago, Hubs said:

I am a Rams fan. And we had our version of Arte Moreno....her name was Georgia Frontiere. She ran my team in the ground much like Arte has the Angels with a combination of foolish decisions and having an accountant making important football decisions. An accountant more concerned with making money by going cheap on things like scouting and player development (sound familiar?)

Fortunately when she passed on our new owner, Stan Kroenke, took over and he's been the total opposite. We have a competent and efficient Front Office now and he lets them do their jobs to the best of their abilities.

We would never have won the Superbowl in '21 if Mr. Kroenke had not allowed our GM to make a series of moves at the trade deadline. Moves that our owner agreed to because his football people were advising him. Yep, ownership and the Front Office and the coaching staff all on the same page and working together.

It's a beautiful thing when it comes together like that. This is my hope for the Angels. That some day and some day soon, new ownership and management and coaching staff will get on the same page and work together to build a winner. And then and only then will this nightmare finally end...

~ArkyAngelsFan~

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Frontiere got a brand new stadium, went to the playoffs 14 times, the Superbowl three times and earned one ring. She was no Arte Moreno. 

Everyone loved her husband and then he died under semi-suspicious circumstances and she took the Rams and moved them to her home town. I am a 49ers fan because my dad hated her… and raised me as a 49er fan. 

9 hours ago, ArkyAngelsFan said:

I am a Rams fan. And we had our version of Arte Moreno....her name was Georgia Frontiere. She ran my team in the ground much like Arte has the Angels with a combination of foolish decisions and having an accountant making important football decisions. An accountant more concerned with making money by going cheap on things like scouting and player development (sound familiar?)

Fortunately when she passed on our new owner, Stan Kroenke, took over and he's been the total opposite. We have a competent and efficient Front Office now and he lets them do their jobs to the best of their abilities.

We would never have won the Superbowl in '21 if Mr. Kroenke had not allowed our GM to make a series of moves at the trade deadline. Moves that our owner agreed to because his football people were advising him. Yep, ownership and the Front Office and the coaching staff all on the same page and working together.

It's a beautiful thing when it comes together like that. This is my hope for the Angels. That some day and some day soon, new ownership and management and coaching staff will get on the same page and work together to build a winner. And then and only then will this nightmare finally end...

~ArkyAngelsFan~

In the past 2 years Kroenke teams have won the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, and NBA championship and his English Premier League team is a legit title contender for years to come. He or Vegas Golden Knights owner Bill Foley are my wish list for the Angels