• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

There was a lot of risk in trading Ohtani as well

I have some pointless musing.

I think a lot of people are rightly pointing out how risky all this is for the Angels.  There’s no doubt about it that the Angels situation with Ohtani and how they’ve decided to proceed is a big, big gamble.  

I don’t think enough people outside of Angels fan land are being honest about recognizing the equal risk of giving up a guy like Shohei Ohtani.  Whether it was last year or here at this years deadline.  Most of these mega trades DO NOT work out for the trading team.  Ohtani could have easily been the biggest example of this ever in the sport.  It’s true enough that the Angels are fuck ups in a lot of ways.  Why should we think they wouldn’t have fucked up that trade? 

They had two equally risky paths.  The Angels situation is not an easy one.  They could have sold off and rolled the dice with a bunch of prospects.  Or they could just go for it and give it their best shot.  They’re going for it.  I think that’s a lot more fun.  Quero and Bush aren’t going to make or break the franchise.  Nice prospects as they are.  

if it finally works out for them we may be looking at the org finally, truly turning the corner.  Or maybe not! Maybe it’ll all blow up in their faces! That may happen.  Anyway, I don’t think one way or the other is particularly more likely.  Here’s to hoping for the best.  And hopefully for all us loyal fans it pays off with a fun and unforgettably stretch run.  At least our team isn’t a bunch of bloodless cowards.  

lessssss goooooooo! 

46 minutes ago, mmc said:

There really wasn't, his next contract will be an anchor to their payroll and shouldn't be offered by them, even if he were willing to take it.  Selling him was the only logical choice.

Wrong.  You don’t think there is risk associated with losing an irreplaceable player?   There’s big risk in keeping him and there’s big risk in losing him.  You’re choosing to not recognize the other side of it.  They could have traded him for a bunch of prospects that don’t pan out - a thing that happens more often than not in the deals most similar to this - and then everyone would blaming them for eternity about giving up Ohtani.  

the angels are not in a situation that is particularly good whether they traded him or not.  The path to being competitive is just as murky whether they keep Ohtani or reset with prospects.  Neither is particularly straight forward.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

They could have traded him for a bunch of prospects that don’t pan out - a thing that happens more often than not in the deals most similar to this - and then everyone would blaming them for eternity about giving up Ohtani.

I'm mostly following you but this is off base.  I think most people that support an Ohtani trade are fell aware the value won't be equivalent, but getting something is better than nothing.

11 minutes ago, mmc said:

I'm mostly following you but this is off base.  I think most people that support an Ohtani trade are fell aware the value won't be equivalent, but getting something is better than nothing.

You're just assuming the Angels don't re-sign him. That might happen, but at this point we honestly have no idea. 

IMO, Trading away someone who is potentially the greatest player of all time for prospects, many of which may never contribute (and we are the Angels so chances are none of them ever contribute lol) is a legacy no one wants.  

personally, I know my boys and I would be crushed to see a pop up banner saying the Angels let him go…especially for just prospects.  

think of the curse of the Bambino for the Red Sux, the Angels letting Nolan Ryan get away…  this would eclipse that

it’s seriously close to a no win scenario for Arte and Perry:

1. you trade him, every angels fan hates you more than most already do, and you probably don’t get what anyone would be happy with.  That’s your legacy, no one will ever forgive you.

2. you keep him, he walks in FA, but at least that’s on him and you tried to keep the unicorn, but your legacy is that you let him slip through your fingers.

only way you’re a winner is if he stays with the Angels next year which seems improbable at this point but not impossible

or win the World Series this year…that might help lol

39 minutes ago, Biergott said:

IMO, Trading away someone who is potentially the greatest player of all time for prospects, many of which may never contribute (and we are the Angels so chances are none of them ever contribute lol) is a legacy no one wants.  

personally, I know my boys and I would be crushed to see a pop up banner saying the Angels let him go…especially for just prospects.  

think of the curse of the Bambino for the Red Sux, the Angels letting Nolan Ryan get away…  this would eclipse that

it’s seriously close to a no win scenario for Arte and Perry:

1. you trade him, every angels fan hates you more than most already do, and you probably don’t get what anyone would be happy with.  That’s your legacy, no one will ever forgive you.

2. you keep him, he walks in FA, but at least that’s on him and you tried to keep the unicorn, but your legacy is that you let him slip through your fingers.

only way you’re a winner is if he stays with the Angels next year which seems improbable at this point but not impossible

or win the World Series this year…that might help lol

Yeah, really the only way the Angels avoid looking like fools is if they win the WS.

1. Trade Ohtani for a few prospects, you're a fool.
2. Let Ohtani walk for nothing, you're a fool.
3. Sign Ohtani to a half-billion dollar contract, you're a fool.
4. Win the World Series, you're a genius.

59 minutes ago, mmc said:

It was an impossible situation. If they were -5 more games in the standings then I would agree with you. But they were/are too close, with a non-negligible chance of making the postseason, which they just improved with last night's trade. You don't tell a team that was/is only 4ish games out with 60+ to play that you're giving up.

If they do make the playoffs and Ohtani still walks, it could be argued that it was still worth keeping him, that making the playoffs for the first time in 9 years is worth more than the prospect return. And then the added benefit is that losing Ohtani opens payroll and possibly opens the door for an actual rebuild.

In other word words, depending upon the outcome the choice to keep Ohtani will be:

They don't make the playoffs, he leaves: Bummer

They don't make the playoffs, but he stays: Good

They make the playoffs, he leaves: Still Good

They make the playoffs, he stays: Very Good

Meaning, only the first outcome should earn regret that he wasn't traded, but then it is understandable why they didn't.