• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cool little piece of history

Wow that was awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I'm actually in the middle of reading a three volume narrative of the civil war by Shelby Foote. I have a whole new aspect for that era, the places, and the people involved with it. Other than the revolution it was probably the most defining time in our nation's history.

Wow, what a great find! Glad his story was recorded way back in 1956.

My daughter is deftly avoiding doing a history project for my class on this very same topic, which is due Thursday.

Pretty weird seeing tobacco so prominently displayed.

Wow that was awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I'm actually in the middle of reading a three volume narrative of the civil war by Shelby Foote. I have a whole new aspect for that era, the places, and the people involved with it. Other than the revolution it was probably the most defining time in our nation's history.

If you ever have the time and the means, be sure to travel to some of those battlefields back east. Obviously some have been lost to development but some are still mostly in 1860's condition. Gettsyburg being one of the best. Also if you wanted any more books on the subject, I can give you some ideas. 

If you ever have the time and the means, be sure to travel to some of those battlefields back east. Obviously some have been lost to development but some are still mostly in 1860's condition. Gettsyburg being one of the best. Also if you wanted any more books on the subject, I can give you some ideas. 

I went to Gettysburg when I was in 8th grade but I was too young to truly appreciate what I saw. I plan on going to D.C. And Philly next spring so I'll be sure to put time aside to visit again. I wouldn't mind going to Manasas while I'm out there too. If you have some recommended books please let me know! I geek out on history.

I went to Gettysburg when I was in 8th grade but I was too young to truly appreciate what I saw. I plan on going to D.C. And Philly next spring so I'll be sure to put time aside to visit again. I wouldn't mind going to Manasas while I'm out there too. If you have some recommended books please let me know! I geek out on history.

From what I remember when I went back to Manassas in 2004, much of the Department of the Interior owns the land so the battlefield has not been built on. Because Gettysburg receives most of the attention, the battlefields in Maryland and Virginia don't receive as much attention. That's actually a good thing because it's almost like you have the entire battlefield to yourself. 

If you're going in early April to Gettysburg, that's perfect timing. Tourist season has not started yet and once again it won't be crowded. Great thing about that battlefield is they are restoring it (as best they can from the maps that have and with the land they own) to its 1863 condition. Getting rid trees where they did not exist and planting new ones. I can guarantee you that you'll have to go back because there is just too much to see in so short a period of time. It really is a neat battlefield and the town is probably one of the most unique i have ever been to. It really is a time travel to the past.

I do have some books on other battles besides Gettysburg but the majority focus on that battle. And all really focus on the war in the east. I need to expand my collection for the war in the western theater (where some argue the war was really won).

Stephen Sears has three books. Landscape Turned Red (about the battle of Antietam. Also two books called Chancellorsville and Gettysburg

Noah Andre Trudeau has one called Gettysburg: A Testing of Courage 

Earl Hess's Pickett's Charge The Last Attack at Gettysburg

Lastly if you want to get really into the battle and here stories of the common soldier look up Harry Pfanz's three books, The First Day, The Second Day, and Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill. 

That should be enough reading material to keep you occupied. Also if you need advice on where to stay if you spend more than a day, there are some great places.

Earl Hess's Pickett's Charge The Last Attack at Gettysburg

Lastly if you want to get really into the battle and here stories of the common soldier look up Harry Pfanz's three books, The First Day, The Second Day, and Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill. 

That should be enough reading material to keep you occupied. Also if you need advice on where to stay if you spend more than a day, there are some great places.

I can't remember where I fit in line exactly but I think it's my great-great-grandfather who was George Pickett who 'led' Pickett's Charge.  I have a cool letter he wrote during the Civil War.  Unfortunately, some a-hole distant relative took off years ago to Hawaii with his battle sword.

Although he's best known for Civil War history, I like to remember Pickett for being an insurance salesman and for defending the San Juan Islands from the English.  He is a big part of why the San Juans are part of the U.S. and not Canada.

I can't remember where I fit in line exactly but I think it's my great-great-grandfather who was George Pickett who 'led' Pickett's Charge.  I have a cool letter he wrote during the Civil War.  Unfortunately, some a-hole distant relative took off years ago to Hawaii with his battle sword.

Although he's best known for Civil War history, I like to remember Pickett for being an insurance salesman and for defending the San Juan Islands from the English.  He is a big part of why the San Juans are part of the U.S. and not Canada.

Wow that sucks DR. That's some very valuable history you had there. Hopefully it has been taken care of and not destroyed.