• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels encouraged by further tests on Mike Trout’s hand

HOUSTON — Mike Trout underwent more tests on his hand on Monday morning, and the results were again encouraging.

Trout, who was hit in the left hand by a pitch on Sunday, underwent an MRI exam to make sure that he didn’t have any small fracture that wouldn’t have shown up on the X-ray taken on Sunday.

It was clear again.

“We got another study just to make sure we covered our bases and that came back clean,” head athletic trainer Mike Frostad said. “So we’re dealing with a contusion, like we initially said yesterday. It’s just truly a day-to-day thing for him.”

Frostad said the Angels’ three-time American League MVP is now cleared to play as soon as he can tolerate the pain. Trout said on Monday that he was feeling better, and he’ll re-evaluate on Tuesday.

“If I feel good tomorrow and can come in and swing, I’ll be in there,” Trout said.

Trout added that he will start wearing a protective pad on his left hand. Shohei Ohtani, a left-handed hitter, wears one on his right hand, which he needs to protect so he can pitch.

“I’ll probably have something my next at-bat,” Trout said. “I don’t want to get hit again. I’ve never worn one, but I’m going to have to get used to it. I’m going to be wearing something for sure.”

RENDON OUT

A day after third baseman Anthony Rendon got a routine day off, he was again out of the lineup, this time because of a stomach bug.

Last week Trout missed a game with a stomach issue.

“I hope it’s not quite like Trout was last week,” Frostad said. “We’re just going to give him a day today. Yesterday was a day of rest and today he’s not feeling great.”

Rendon is from Houston, so he didn’t want to miss a game in his hometown, Manager Joe Maddon said.

“He’s got a ton of tickets out there today,” Maddon said, “and he’s not feeling good about that either. He just doesn’t feel well.”

Maddon said he hoped to have Rendon available to pinch-hit by the end of Monday’s game.

NOTES

The Angels designated left-hander Brian Moran for assignment to create a spot for right-hander Kenny Rosenberg, who would be making his major league debut. The Angels needed Rosenberg to provide some coverage for the bullpen because both Jaime Barria and Jimmy Herget had pitched two innings on Sunday. The Angels selected Rosenberg in the minor league portion of the Rule 5 draft last year. …

Infielder David Fletcher (left hip strain) has been throwing, running and hitting off a tee back in Anaheim, Frostad said. “Hopefully we can get him back when his (injured list) time is up, or shortly thereafter,” Frostad said. Fletcher is eligible to be activated on Friday, but he might need a rehab assignment first, Frostad said. …

Left-hander José Quijada (right oblique strain) is still not throwing, so the Angels don’t have an estimate for when he’ll be ready, Frostad said.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Patrick Sandoval, 0-0, 0.00 ERA) at Astros (LHP Framber Valdez, 1-0, 0.93), Tuesday, 5:10 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article