• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels offense: 2014 vs 2017

If you look at it, I think the offense this year can be better than the 2014 version. Pujols, Calhoun, Escobar, Cron, and Valbuena all put up good seasons with the bat last year. If you think about it, if the Angels had gotten all of these guys' 2016 numbers, it would no doubt look like the 2014 offense. There is only one great hitter (Trout) but a lot of his teammates all put up good numbers at the plate. Just to remind people, in 2014, Trout was still great with the bat (even if it was a down year for him) but there were like 4 other guys who had nice years at the plate: Pujols, Calhoun, Iannetta, and, Kendrick. I feel like if the guys who are having bad years with the bat can produce like last year, and you add in Trout hitting a lot better this year than he did in 2014 and Simmons being a pretty good hitter this season, this offense can actually be better than in 2014. But for many of them, it is getting late in the season and there is not much time remaining to find their productive selves at the plate.

I miss Howie man.  He hit a walk off salami today.  Happy for him being on a team that's a sure playoff bet.  

He'd have been a nice fit for this team right now.  Although the nats gave up a decent prospect and international bonus money to get him.  

As for the topic, the 2014 halos were an offensive juggernaut relative to the rest of the league and they led the league in runs scored with 773.  They also had an ISO of .147 which ranked them 5th in all of baseball.  Fast forward to 2017 and their ISO is .146.  Good for 28th in baseball.  They are on pace for about 700 runs so that's quite a drop off or quite a bit to make up between now and then.  Even still, the amount of power around the league is crazy.  So even with an offensive surge and guys like Calhoun, Cron, Valbuena, and Pujols stepping up if they can, we'll still likely end up somewhere in the upper portion of the second tier vs. the rest of baseball.  Personally, I don't see a ton of similarities.  

20 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I miss Howie man.  He hit a walk off salami today.  Happy for him being on a team that's a sure playoff bet.  

He'd have been a nice fit for this team right now.  Although the nats gave up a decent prospect and international bonus money to get him.  

As for the topic, the 2014 halos were an offensive juggernaut relative to the rest of the league and they led the league in runs scored with 773.  They also had an ISO of .147 which ranked them 5th in all of baseball.  Fast forward to 2017 and their ISO is .146.  Good for 28th in baseball.  They are on pace for about 700 runs so that's quite a drop off or quite a bit to make up between now and then.  Even still, the amount of power around the league is crazy.  So even with an offensive surge and guys like Calhoun, Cron, Valbuena, and Pujols stepping up if they can, we'll still likely end up somewhere in the upper portion of the second tier vs. the rest of baseball.  Personally, I don't see a ton of similarities.  

Damn, almost the same ISO but being ranked over 20 spots under in 2017. Not that much surprise because offense in 2017 is a lot better than it was in 2014. The league OPS in 2014 was .700. I think it is like over 50 points higher now than in 2014.