• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How not to be a gentrifier

Look elsewhere. One hard-to-swallow answer? Don’t buy in neighborhoods like Boyle Heights, says Cuff. “[I know this is] a pretty radical stance that I’m taking and that it feels uncivil,” she says, “but be cautious [about moving] where current residents have an active political protest against neighborhood change. I think that’s being respectful.”

https://la.curbed.com/2017/7/28/16053522/gentrification-definition-boyle-heights

3 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

I do understand the concern over being forced out of the area you have lived in your entire life due to inflated pricing.  Not sure what the answer is though.

Different circumstances, but this is going on in eastern England. My late friend, who lived in Cornwall, told me that because of the local scenery, rich Londoners were buying up property in Cornwall to use as vacation homes, which had driven real estate prices through the roof. People who grew up there were being forced to leave as they reached adulthood, because they could not afford housing in the area where they were raised.

I don't entirely understand the issue with gentrification. It's like saying, 'let us keep our shit hole' or 'don't build anything nice here, otherwise people might actually want to live here.'

Also, if they just stand by and let that part of the city dilapidate eventually they will jus have to bulldoze everything like they did downtown. Then they'll be able to build some sweet 50+ story buildings there. I'm sure the community will love it. Todays new developments are tomorrows affordable housing complexes.  

When i returned to my old neighborhood in Jacksonville about 12 years ago, the deterioration was stunning. Many of the homes in what was once a nice middle class neighborhood hadn't been maintained. Areas that were once bustling with businesses had obviously been vacant for years. There were a few holdouts, but there were a lot of places that were boarded up.