• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

RIP, Gus Triandos and Bob Turley

Two former major-leaguers died this week. They were both 82, and had once been traded for each other.

Triandos, a four-time All Star, caught Hoyt Wilhelm's no-hitter in 1958 and Jim Bunning's perfect game in 1964.

Turley won the Cy Young award in 1958 and was World Series MVP that year with the Yankees. With the Yankees trailing the Milwaukee Braves, 3-1, after the first four games, Turley threw a shutout in Game 5, earned a 10th-inning save in Game 6 and picked up the victory in the decisive Game 7 by throwing 6 2/3 scoreless innings of relief.

http://spectator.org/blog/2013/03/30/goodbye-gus-triandos-bob-turle

Turley pitched for the Angels in 1963 at the end of his career, which was cut short by an arm injury.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/turlebo01.shtml

Turley’s post-baseball career was actually far more successful than his playing one. He made a fortune as an independent life insurance salesman in Atlanta. “When I make a decision, it’s my own,” he said in a 1975 interview. “I don’t rely on anyone else. I sink or swim by myself. It’s like a pitcher shaking off a catcher. There’s no going back on yourself.”

Through the years, Turley was always one of the most popular and engaging players at Yankees’ Old-Timers’ Day Games. “I can’t understand some of these players today,” he said. “Nothing ever bothered me, signing autographs, doing interviews. You have all the privacy you want when you get out of the game.”