• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2009 Angels = 97 wins / 2014 Angels = ???

gurn67

How did a team with that injury riddled and ineffective pitching staff go 97-65 and come within a couple of questionable umpiring and managerial calls in the ALCS from being AL champs?

Looking back I found some reasons why this team looked like a .500 team at best on paper.

6-11 start

#1 starter, at the time, John Lackey, missing the first 1 1/2 months of the season and having average numbers, for him, after that.

#3 starter Joe Saunders with a 4.60 ERA

#4 starter Ervin Santana 8-8 5.03

#5 starter a bunch of guys named Palmer, O'Sullivan, Loux, Bell, etc...

A bullpen with a closer who went 1-5 with a 3.93 ERA and a WHIP of 1.400

Important bullpen pieces who had ugly ERA's like 4.94, 5.18 & 6.00

The ghost of Scot Shields with an ERA of 6.62 in only 20 games

Bozo's grandson somehow making 8 appearances, including 4 starts, with a 9.74 ERA

An old looking Vladdy getting 50 RBI's in 100 games.

One of worst, if not, the worst moment in franchise history occuring the opening week of the season.

The reason the 2009 team won.

With the exception of Vlad, you look at the lineup and everyone in there, pretty much did what they were capable of. Some guys were a little better than their career norms, some guys were a little worse.

That's all the 2014 club needs to do to get back to the 90+ win level. Get off to a decent start. Get some clutch hits early and have each guy in the lineup come somewhere close to what he's capable of. I think Don Baylor's the right guy at the right time and I don't know how many games they'll win (I'm guessing 89-92), but it's going to be a blast watching the offense for a change.

I remember everyone in that lineup batting over .300 and it was midseason.  The offense has too many question marks though to expect anything that high.  Between Pujols, Hamilton, Kendrick, and Aybar, hopefully at least Pujols and Hamilton get back to normal.  We are going to need it.

Kendrick and Aybar most likely still going to be hackers batting around .280 with a mediocre OBP.  

Edited by QuinlansMinion

I remember everyone in that lineup batting over .300 and it was midseason. The offense has too many question marks though to expect anything that high. Between Pujols, Hamilton, Kendrick, and Aybar, hopefully at least Pujols and Hamilton get back to normal. We are going to need it.

Kendrick and Aybar most likely still going to be hackers batting around .280 with a mediocre OBP.

To start with there's nothing wrong with a bunch of .280 hitters. That being said Howie hit almost .300 last year with double digit home runs and a bunch of doubles. You are selling him short. The problem with those two hitters is the lack of walks. That being said it shouldn't discredit what he does well. I consider Howie a very consistent ball player.

To start with there's nothing wrong with a bunch of .280 hitters. That being said Howie hit almost .300 last year with double digit home runs and a bunch of doubles. You are selling him short. The problem with those two hitters is the lack of walks. That being said it shouldn't discredit what he does well. I consider Howie a very consistent ball player.

They could definitely improve but they need a dramatic change in their plate approach.  Im more optimistic about Howie then Aybar.  It might be too late for Aybar.  But I hope i'm wrong. 

the 2009 offense was bananas.  A bunch of guys had career or at least above average years.  They scored almost 900 runs which is more than any team in the last 4 seasons.  Relative to the rest of the league, the 2012 offense was actually better.  Actually, the 2012 offense was the best in the last 10 years relative to the league in any given year. 

This year they aren't going to need to be the best pitching team or even close as long as the offense does what it's supposed to.  Still think the pen is the biggest wildcard though.  They could be pretty good or really awful ie, they could get us 0 wins or up to 7.  Whereas the offense will be good and the SP average to slightly below. 

The 2009 season was also crazy because the hitting was decent for two months, and then exploded the rest of the season to where the .300 lineup was born. Not coincidentally the team went just 28-27 (iirc) and then 69-38 the rest of the season. In a lot of ways it was similar to 2002, except that the hitting took off sooner in 2002 (after the 6-14 start).

The rotations were similar in 2002 and 2009. BUT, the thing that kept the 2009 team from being WS participants and possibly WS champs was the bullpen. 2002 bullpen >>>> 2009 bullpen. Forget the 48 saves, Fuentes was walking the tightrope a lot, and the HR served up to Pay-Rod in ALCS game 2 was the crusher. I truly believe the Halos are in the 2009 WS if not for that.