• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Daron Sutton will be replaced on Angels broadcast team for the second half

SEATTLE — Daron Sutton will no longer be a part of the the Angels television broadcast crew.

Sutton told reporters on Sunday that the Angels had let him know a day earlier of their decision to replace him after half a season on the job. He had been sharing play-by-play duties with Matt Vasgersian, both working with analysts Mark Gubicza and José Mota.

The club has not selected a replacement to split duties with Vasgersian for the remainder of the season.

“This was definitely more of a trial or test than I understood when we started,” Sutton said in a text to reporters. “I enjoyed every second of this opportunity and will cherish the memories always. I am proud of every moment of television the Bally Sports team produced, that I was a part of, without incident, and to the joy and satisfaction of so many.

“I am grateful to Bally Sports for this opportunity and our relationship remains strong and productive to this very moment. I’m looking forward to working with them again in the future.

“It was great to reconnect with Angels fans. They’re the best! The very best!”

Sutton spent just half a season as a part of the duo to replace Victor Rojas on the Angels television broadcasts. He had previously worked on the Arizona Diamondbacks and Milwaukee Brewers broadcasts.

Sutton is the son of Hall of Fame pitcher and longtime Atlanta Braves broadcaster Don Sutton. Sutton’s father pitched for the Angels in the 1980s, when the younger Sutton was a teenager. He said that it was a dream of his to work for the Angels.

FUTURES GAME

Reid Detmers struck out both of the hitters he faced in the Futures Game on Sunday at Coors Field.

Detmers, the Angels’ first-round pick from 2020, is their top pitching prospect. He has a 3.60 ERA at Double-A, with 91 strikeouts in 50 innings.

Hector Yan faced three batters, recording two outs around a walk. According to the broadcast, Yan’s fastball was 90-92 mph, which is still down from the velocity the Angels saw when they added him to the 40-man roster last winter.

NOTES

The Angels set their rotation for the first five games after the All-Star break, with Andrew Heaney, Alex Cobb and Patrick Sandoval pitching the three home games against the Seattle Mariners, followed by Shohei Ohtani and José Suarez for the two-game series in Oakland…

By playing the Mariners in the series before and after the All-Star break, they will face the same team in six straight games for the first time since July 1980, when they played the Oakland A’s six times in a row, including a doubleheader. The last time they played six straight against one team without a doubleheader was in 1976, when they played the Baltimore Orioles before and after the All-Star break.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Andrew Heaney, 5-6, 5.38 ERA) vs Mariners (TBD), Friday, 6:38 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article