• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Justin Anderson goes down with oblique injury

AngelsWin.com

TEMPE, Ariz. — Justin Anderson spent all winter working on strengthening one part of his core, only to have another fail him before spring training had really begun.

After a trapezius injury cost him the end of the 2019 season, Anderson suffered a grade 2 sprain of his left oblique that will land him on the injured list to start the season, Angels manager Joe Maddon said Thursday.

Anderson, 27, felt the injury Tuesday, the day before the Angels’ first full squad workout.

“It was just a casual day of playing catch,” the right-hander said. “I had two throws left in my throwing program and the next thing I know, someone stabbed me in the side, it felt like.”

Anderson’s disappointing start to the spring followed a winter in which he’d worked with a doctor and two strength coaches because of last year’s trapezius injury.

“I felt stronger than ever,” Anderson said. “I felt strong, ready to go, and then this happened. It sucks.”

PROSPECT UNDERGOES TOMMY JOHN SURGERY

José Soriano, who was named the No. 7 prospect in the Angels system by Baseball America, reportedly underwent Tommy John surgery, which will cost him most of the next two seasons.

Soriano, 21, spent last season at Class-A Burlington, posting a 2.55 ERA in 77-2/3 innings. He struck out 84, but walked 48. Soriano has a 2.76 ERA in his minor-league career.

Soriano’s injury not only extends the time frame for eventually reaching the majors, but also deprives the organization of a talented prospect they may have been able to use in a trade.

ALSO

Maddon said he hasn’t settled on how he’d like the middle of his lineup to look with Mike Trout, Anthony Rendon and Shohei Ohtani. He said he’s most likely to keep Trout in the No. 2 spot, but he could have Ohtani and Rendon hit in either order in the Nos. 3-4 spots. …

Jason Castro, who missed the first workout because of the flu, participated Thursday. Patrick Sandoval is still out sick. …

Although the first official full squad workout isn’t until Monday, Justin Upton was among the position players who got in some work Thursday. Upton did a series of outfield drills. …

Last spring Angels pitchers threw all their bullpen sessions in spring training with Rapsodo devices recording data like velocity and spin rate, but they were notably absent in the first two days this spring. “Those are tools that can be utilized when it’s appropriate,” Maddon said. “I don’t think it’s necessary to shove it every time.” Maddon said pitching coach Mickey Callaway will determine when to use them.

View the full article