• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLBTradeRumors Comments - Price Kemp

gotbeer

Saw these tidbits on MLBTradeRumors.  

Cafardo On Samardzija, Price, Kemp, Pierzynski

• The Rays, unsurprisingly, have gotten a number of inquiries on David Price.  However, none of them have been strong enough to make Tampa Bay give serious consideration to parting with him.

Sounds like they are asking for the moon.  For the Angels, I don't even thing a Callhoun, Cron, Lindsey, Moronde would get them to the table.

• Moving Matt Kemp would require the Dodgers to eat some of the $128MM he's owed over the next six years.  If L.A. knocks that down to $80-90MM, the market is expected to open up.

If that's the case for Kemp, shouldn't the Angels at least see if there is interest in Hamilton?  Hamilton has 4/$98 left on his contract.  If the market is opening up for Kemp at 6/$80-90 which is $13-$15 a year, why not Hamilton at $15 a year?  

Kemp .270/.328/.395/.723/0.5 WAR

Hamilton .250/.307/.432/.739/1.5 WAR

Career

Kemp .293/.350/.493//843

Hamilton .295/.354/.530/.884

Kemp 3 years removed from a high of .324/.399/.586/.985/7.8 WAR

Hamilton 4 years removed from a high of .359/.411/.633/1.044/8.4 WAR

Kemp 1 year removed from a .303/.367/.538/.905/2.3 WAR

Hamilton 1 year removed from a .285/.354/.577/.931/3.3 WAR

This would clear $15 million from the books, which would make an impact on who we could sign.  

The Dodgers wouldn't trade Kemp or one of their other OF's for another OF. The main reason why the Dodgers want to trade an OF/Kemp is to get rid of the log jam in the OF (Crawford, Either, Kemp, Puig). Of course they  would also be getting rid of the burden of Kemp's bad contract if the traded him for someone other than an OF.

Ethier and Hamilton both have huge issues against left handed pitching, which means they wouldn't want both guys on their team.

They're also trying to just go into the season with 3 of their 4 guys and if anybody gets hurt or struggles, they can call up Pederson, who has to the potential to be a heck of a player.

Totally misread the OP. You're correct Doc. 

I agree that Hamilton can definitely be moved if Hamilton even rebounds a little bit. Many teams will be looking for a lefty bat with power towards the trade deadline and if we eat enough cash, I'm fairly certain some team would be interested. 

hamilton has 4/106. 

You'd have to pay about 40-50mil  to even get someone to take him and even then you aren't getting much back.  For at least another year or two, you have to try and let him rebound.  He had stretches where he looked ok. 

Yes, this.

The other problem is that if Hamilton rebounds enough to get other teams interested, then he might not be worth getting rid of for the likely return.

Hamilton was a stupid investment, pure and simple. The best we can hope for at this point is a solid bounce-back to, say, 280+/.850+, in which case he'd be overpaid but not a Wellsian joke.

Yes, this.

The other problem is that if Hamilton rebounds enough to get other teams interested, then he might not be worth getting rid of for the likely return.

Hamilton was a stupid investment, pure and simple. The best we can hope for at this point is a solid bounce-back to, say, 280+/.850+, in which case he'd be overpaid but not a Wellsian joke.

Even as bad as Hamilton was, he wasn't nearly as bad as the Halo version of Wells.  I don't remember Wells ever having a 2 month stretch of 900ops. 

Hamilton's biggest issue going forward is going to be vs. tough lefties.  I think that is why they are somewhat reluctant to trade Trumbo.  I also think we will see Shuck vs. tough lefties.  The big problem is gonna be that Hamilton is basically an automatic out late in games.

Regardless of whether they trade Trumbo, the Halos may want to consider a RHed platoonish type 5th OF bat as part of their bench.  It's gonna come to ph for Hamilton if the halos are in a race. 

I can't remember who mentioned it, but maybe Konerko on a 1yr deal could work even if you keep Trumbo.  He could DH with Trumbo in RF and Calhoun in LF vs. lefties.  Konerko would also get a bunch of abs as a ph, and as relief for pujols as well as a nice backup. 

Edited by Dochalo