• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Next important Date

gotbeer

December 2nd is the Tender deadline.  We should get a clearer view of who's staying and who's not going to be tendered by this date.

Already, the Pirates and the Padres seem to be busy trading players that they otherwise wouldn't tender.  

For the Angels, these seem to be non tender candidates.

Hanson $3.9 million

Williams $3.9 million

Jepsen $1.4 million

Gutierrez $1.1 million

Nelson $1 million

Total $11.3 million

I still think Williams is going to be kept, because he can start in an emergency, and his relief numbers were pretty good last year.  IMO, Williams has more problems when it's the second/third time through the order.  Which for a reliever isn't an issue.  And considering we paid $5 million for Smith, $3.9 for Williams doesn't seem too out of line.  Plus if we don't get any more starters, I'd rather have him than Blanton.  

Also, right now, this is what the 25 man kind of looks like.

1- C Conger

2 - 1B/DH Pujols

3 - 1B/DH Trumbo

4 - 2B Kendrick

5 - SS Aybar

6 - 3B Freese

7 - LF Hamilton

8 - CF Trout

9 - RF Callhoun

starting pitching

10 - Weaver

11 - Wilson

12 - Richards

13 - Blanton

14 - Williams

Relief Pitching

15 - Frieri

16 - Burnett

17 - Smith

18 - De La Rosa

19 - Salas

20 - Jepsen

Backup

20 - C Iannetta

21 - OF Shuck
22 - IF Green?
23 - ?
24 - ?
25 - ?

For spots 23-25 we do have players, just not sure how much of an option they would be.  7 man pen would take up one of those spots.  Getting a starter, IMO would move Williams to that 7th spot in the relief.  Hopefully Blanton can be traded for a prospect.  But that would mean 2 starting spots would need to be acquired.  

Given that Williams pitched well outside of July and part of August, I'm not sure that it was a 3rd time through the order thing, as much as endurance.

170 innings in 2013 was the most he's pitched since his Taiwan days.

Consider that the guy has 4 solid pitches. 

I'd give him the #5 spot in 2014 and see what he does over 190-200 innings, much better than giving it to Blanton in 2013 and it would be for HALF of what Blanton makes.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Backup

20 - C Iannetta

21 - OF Shuck
22 - IF Green?
23 - ?
24 - ?
25 - ?

For spots 23-25 we do have players, just not sure how much of an option they would be.  7 man pen would take up one of those spots.  Getting a starter, IMO would move Williams to that 7th spot in the relief.  Hopefully Blanton can be traded for a prospect.  But that would mean 2 starting spots would need to be acquired.  

I think Cowgill is a back up OF'er, along with Shuck.......

I would probably not tender Hanson a contract, but I would consider making the following offer: $2,500,000 guaranteed, with $250,000 bonuses at 100, 125, 150, and 175 innings pitched.  If he stays healthy and moderately productive, he makes $3,500,000, which might be more than he could get on the open market if he is non-tendered.  If he sucks again, the team isn't on the hook for the $4,000,000+ he would be guaranteed if tendered a contract.  

I would non-tender all of them, Williams is intriguing but he's also expected to make the most (tied with Hanson) but I could see them non-tendering everyone except Jepsen for some reason. Smith takes Gutierrez's roster spot, the two starters we get replace Hanson and probably Williams, Berg can take Jepsen's spot, and anyone can take Nelson's spot maybe even Lindsey on the 40-man

I know they are going to tender Jeppy a contract, I just know it. They are going to tender him a contract and he is going to pitch for the Angels forever.

That's what scares me too, I know they'll tender him a contract because "he has such a high upside!" but he's been given a chance for 6 seasons, time to put the experiment to rest

December 2nd is the Tender deadline.  We should get a clearer view of who's staying and who's not going to be tendered by this date.

Already, the Pirates and the Padres seem to be busy trading players that they otherwise wouldn't tender.  

Hanson $3.9 million

Williams $3.9 million

Jepsen $1.4 million

Gutierrez $1.1 million

Nelson $1 million

Total $11.3 million

I still think Williams is going to be kept, because he can start in an emergency, and his relief numbers were pretty good last year.  IMO, Williams has more problems when it's the second/third time through the order.  Which for a reliever isn't an issue.  And considering we paid $5 million for Smith, $3.9 for Williams doesn't seem too out of line.  Plus if we don't get any more starters, I'd rather have him than Blanton.  

I really think that we will try to retain Williams in long relief. Out of the remainder it wouldn't be shocking to see Hanson or Jepsen traded before the deadline. Gutierrez and Nelson are probably non-tendered at this point.

Hanson $3.9 million

Williams $3.9 million

Jepsen $1.4 million

Gutierrez $1.1 million

Nelson $1 million

Total $11.3 million

I too think they tender Williams for the depth.

For some reason, I still think they keep Jepsen.  At that price, they'll probably consider it low risk/high reward if he can find whatever it is he found in the 2nd half of 2012.

Backup

20 - C Iannetta

21 - OF Shuck
22 - IF Green?
23 - ?
24 - ?
25 - ?

Those spots should start 21-25 with only 2 spots open.  I think Romine gets one of those for sure.

If Williams would accept 2/6. That would be worth it.

If they can package Blanton in a salary dump type deal back to the National league, great. If not, hard to see how he fits on the 25 man. 

Hanson is the fifth starter unless they acquire someone. Even then, I could see him accepting the same type of deal as Williams. But them not bringing him back certainly is a sign.

Jepsen and Gutierrez aren't needed now that they've acquired Smith and Salas. 

Nelson is gone with the addition of Freese.

Romine gets a spot, as does a 7th pitcher. As for the remaining spot who knows. A hitter??

Nelson and Gutierrez seem like obvious calls, neither one is good, and their already questionable usefulness is even iffier after the moves of the past few days.

I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of Hanson as a reliever, but I also kind of doubt that happens here.

Jepsen is Jepsen. Time to move on, Angels.

I think Williams' fate is largely going to hinge on how concerned about payroll the Angels actually are. If everything about their cap has been smoke, I could see them hanging onto him for depth's sake if nothing else(and even then, non-tendering him and trying to re-sign him cheaper might make sense). But if they're legitimately pinching pennies, NOT paying a swingman 3-4 million dollars is a reasonable enough place to do that.

Edited by jshep

I think they have to tender all of the pitchers for depths sake. Williams has struggled at times, but he has also come up big. I would trust him in a game in Arlington over Richards. Hanson had a bad season and if this was another team, would probably be gone. But who is going to start if one of our three (Weaver, Wilson, Richards) gets injured and another has to skip a start. We need pitchers who can come in and make spot starts when needed. We need 8 starters.

1. Weaver

2. Wilson

3. Richards

4. Williams

5. Blanton

6. Hanson

7. Trade/FA

8. Trade/FA