• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Four in a row

Glen

People want Trout to Re-sign and hope we lose the rest of the year? Ya, he wants to play for a losing team....

I guess being something like 81-81 (and still missing the postseason) will make him happier?

By the way, what makes you think the Angels will win with this current squad next year?

Player salaries are just going to increase from here on out (go check what Pujols will start to make, just for example). What's Trout going to command once he hits arbitration? How about if he's locked up long-term? How about all the other players whose salaries will start to increase?

The Angels farm system is rated as the worst in baseball. They are also maxed out payroll wise or will be soon enough. Fact is, without a protected draft pick, any top free agent they sign will eliminate their draft pick. And just exasperate the problem. 

If the Angels had a farm system, there would be no need for Joe Blanton. Or Tommy Hanson. Or Jerome Williams. Or Buckner. Or Nelson. Or Cowgill. Or all those terrible bullpen arms. Or any other random scrub who will never help this team win. They don't have a farm system. That is why we are seeing these guys.

Having a farm system with a bunch of high-upside players will actually give the Angels hope for the future. Something to look forward to.

Losing the rest of the way = winning.

This is true if we believe several things.  First that Dipoto is a good enough GM to make the right picks.  Second, that our scouting has improved dramatically.  Third that we will be able to sign said draft pick.  Lastly, that the difference between a 4 pick and a 10 pick is that big of a deal.

Now, for the record, even if I could be convinced that all four of those things were likely, I could still never get myself to root for my team to lose.

Ever.

Of course the draft isn't a sure thing, but how in the hell do you guys expect to get better. With the mess we have on the field and nothing on the farm, I wanna hear exactly how you guys would fix this team going forward, since draft picks are such a bad thing

I, for one, hope the Angels go on a tear and finish the season with 86 wins prompting Arte to keep the current team (and management) intact. Hilarity ensues on angelswin.

Lol. Although, it would be funny for the message board, you're probably right. That's one of the main reasons why i wouldnt want that to happen. Moreno will probably get the false sense that the team will be a contender without many changes on and off the field. Also, he'll probably make another "big splash".

With Weaver and Wilson set to become FA's in three years, why wouldn't you want to be in a position to draft someone who has the potential to fill those shoes when Weaver and Wilson's time is up. I don't see anybody else on the farm with that potential and it sure as hell would save alot of money than buying arm like that on the market.

The Angels problems hasn't been not having high draft picks, it's been giving them away by signing type A free agents.  They also have drafted poorly more often than not.  Add that to the fact that they have been trading away the better players in the system and that is why we have a crappy farm.

Being 4-6 spots down the line is not going to make the difference, being smarter with the farm in general is.

If you're a fan of this team and actually care about next season and beyond, then you should root for them to lose as many games as possible from here on out. The Angels don't have a chance to make the playoffs this season. This season is over. The focus should be on the future.

The Angels have the worst farm system in baseball with a bunch of bloated contracts that aren't going anywhere. Then there's Mike Trout..who happens to be the best player in baseball and isn't yet signed long-term. He is about to get ridiculously expensive a few years from now. The Angels will need to rely heavily on their farm system given their situation. And without one, they will be screwed. Therefore, I want the Angels to get a protected draft pick. Not only that, I want the Angels to get the highest draft pick possible. Because the higher the draft pick, the higher the rate for success. The lower the draft pick, the lower the rate for success. It's pretty simple. The best (and only way) to accomplish that is to lose as many games from here on out. I want to see that happen because I care about the future of this organization.

I will never understand people who want to see a bunch of meaningless wins at the detriment of the greater good. What will a .500 record accomplish? Will that make you happy? An 81-81 record doesn't mean anything. Not this year, not next year, not ever. All it will do is put the Angels in a worse position to succeed next year and 2015 and 2016 and so on.[/

quote]

I would lov3 5o se us at 81 - 81. 5hat means it wasnt a losing season. Outside of getting a protected pick there is little difference to me. I am sorry for my competitive instinct but I dont want to lose!

The Angels problems hasn't been not having high draft picks, it's been giving them away by signing type A free agents.  They also have drafted poorly more often than not.  Add that to the fact that they have been trading away the better players in the system and that is why we have a crappy farm.

Being 4-6 spots down the line is not going to make the difference, being smarter with the farm in general is.

Also better people developing those players.

Of course the draft isn't a sure thing, but how in the hell do you guys expect to get better. With the mess we have on the field and nothing on the farm, I wanna hear exactly how you guys would fix this team going forward, since draft picks are such a bad thing

Well you see how we are doing with the rotation we should have had all year. Re-sign Vargas and trade for a young pitcher with tons of upside. Sign 3 guys for the bullpen and win next year. Draft well with whatever spot we have and replenish the farm. Not too hard

Somehow, the farm dried up in the late 2000s/early 2010s.

Was it....

Too many type A FAs signed and losing early picks?   

Too many good prospects traded away?    

Poor scouting of potential draft picks?

Lull in foreign scouting?

All of the above?

Just run the org like the Cardinals run theres.

Guaranteed?

Or the next Dewon Brazelton, Chris Gruler, or Mike Pelfrey

This isn't guaranteed either

Why wouldn't you wanna get something that has the potential to have a big impact on the future, rather than meaningless wins?

Edited by SoWhat

This isn't guaranteed either

Why wouldn't you wanna get something that has the potential to have a big impact on the future, rather than meaningless wins?

There is no such thing as meaningless wins.  My opinion is that the team should have the attitude that they won't roll over for anybody, and that every game you play you believe you should win.  You don't just turn that off or on at any time depending on where you are in the standings. 

Here are some of our top draft picks since 2000:

2000  Joe Torres (P) - 10th

2001  Casey Kotchman (1B) - 13th

2002  Joe Saunders (P) - 12th

2003  Brandon Wood (3B) - 23rd

2004  Jered Weaver (P) - 12th

2006  Hank Conger © - 25th

2009  Randall Grichuk (OF) - 24th, Mike Trout (OF) - 25th

2010  Caleb Cowert (3B) - 18th

2011  C.J. Chron (DH) - 17th

The only real difference makers of the past 12 years are Weaver and Trout, and they were drafted 12th and 25th.  You can't fully depend on the draft, but you have to do the best you can with it by out evaluating and scouting who is available when you pick.

Edited by tomsred