• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mariano Rivera Day

m0nkey

Meh, this is at least better than Jeter Day.

Not going to say the whole farewell tour thing isn't a little lame, but teams honoring Future HOF type players in their final season has become pretty common.

Jeter day was just random and weird and dumb.

This is lame. Do any other teams do this for ACTIVE players of other teams? I honestly find it pretty embarrassing for the org

Teams did it for Chipper Jones last year, and at least some of them have been doing it for Mariano this year.

Why doesn't this organization learn that fans don't want to celebrate the accomplishments of other players on other teams because their success and the mention of the Yankees dynasty gets shoved down our throats enough as it is? 

Its like salt in the wound. 

So stupid. 

The Angels put freaking #8 on the bases when they honored Cal Ripken his final day here in Anaheim.

Bizarre.

Yeah, but that was Cal Freaking Ripken. He did so much for the sport outside of Baltimore that I totally wold have been ok with a Cal Ripken day at Angel Stadium.

Why doesn't this organization learn that fans don't want to celebrate the accomplishments of other players on other teams because their success and the mention of the Yankees dynasty gets shoved down our throats enough as it is? 

Its like salt in the wound. 

So stupid. 

It is par for the course here. This organization hasn't learned that lesson, Cali. After all, this is the organization that likes to pay players for their stats and accomplishments with other organizations. Pujols gets a 10 year, 9 figured contract for his Cardinal production, Josh gets his 9 figures for his Ranger years and the life turn around story. It would only stand to reason that they would give them special days at our venue. I wonder where they are going to put Jeter's and Mariano's busts at?

WTF?

Wow, are they going to have a long video tribute of him striking out the likes of Salmon, Erstad, Vladdy?

Will they show him celebrating in 09, with closeups of the dejected Angels in the losing dugout?

What a great idea.

Oh well, it will be mostly Yankee fans in the Big A anyhow, so why not.

I can see it if we were the same young franchise that we were back in the 1970s, where the fans haven't had a lot of years to pledge allegiance to the Halos.

But this is the 53rd season, that needs to go buh-bye.

No way the Skanks would ever honor a Halos player.

You don't think the Yankees would honor an Angels player who is a Future HOF type player in his last season?

Whether we think it's lame or not(and I do think it's a little lame that teams in general do it, but I'm not up in arms about the Angels in particular taking part in something like this that's standard throughout the league), this is a thing teams do for retiring players of that caliber.  Not just the Angels.

Like I mentioned before, Chipper Jones and Bobby Cox got a bunch of presents from various teams in their final seasons as well.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/chipper-jones-bobby-cox-farewell-gifts/

I see this as an MLB-wide 'problem.'  I'm tired of ceremonies for this; ceremonies for that.  Just put your head down and play the damn game.  Not everything has to be a celebration, a recognition, a wank.  If there's really a need for it, do all the pre-game jerk sessions in Boston where they seem to have a 45 minute pre-game ceremony for anything and everything including crossing the f'ing street.

Maybe it's generational, but I was raised in a way where if you're playing a sport, you do whatever you can to beat the opponent (without cheating, of course).  You don't make small talk, you don't even really recognize them.  Just shut up, put your head down and win.

Furthermore, I don't like honoring a player who was responsible for beating the Angels.  I don't like honoring a player who was paid millions for being good at his job.  The MLB and its clubs need to get over this crap-ola.