• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

CJ Wilson = Not Clutch

Why does everyone keep thinking CJ is going to be someone he's not.  He's a nibbler.  The more the pressure is on, the more he nibbles.  He's just that way. 

He's a pretty decent pitcher.  A solid #3.  Not someone I would necessarily count on to come up big when things are on the line, but pretty good nonetheless. 

Here is something that I like to do when CJ pitches.  DON'T WATCH!!

Even if he takes the loss, it's much more tolerable. 

seriously though.  let's not lose sight of the fact that he's been fairly solid this year.  Granted, he doesn't get deep into games very often, but this was by far his worst start of the season. 

Before today, he's had one start where he didn't go at least six innings, and another start where he gave up more than three runs.  (4er in 6ip)

He's not a #1 or #2.  He keeps the team in the game.  He nibbles around the zone, but generally limits damage.  Once in awhile he has a really bad start and once in awhile a really good one.  Net result is pretty solid.  Good amount of ks.  Too many walks.  Not too many hits or hrs. 

Seriously, don't watch him.  Change the channel between innings.  You will like him much better. 

I seem to recall buyer beware posts from the Rangers' fans after the signing and thought it was sour grapes.  But I'm not ready to hate on Wilson yet, I'm still in "blame Butcher" mode with many of our rotation ills.

I just have a feeling he'd be much better with another team.  And that sucks.

seriously though.  let's not lose sight of the fact that he's been fairly solid this year.  Granted, he doesn't get deep into games very often, but this was by far his worst start of the season. 

Before today, he's had one start where he didn't go at least six innings, and another start where he gave up more than three runs.  (4er in 6ip)

He's not a #1 or #2.  He keeps the team in the game.  He nibbles around the zone, but generally limits damage.  Once in awhile he has a really bad start and once in awhile a really good one.  Net result is pretty solid.  Good amount of ks.  Too many walks.  Not too many hits or hrs. 

His ERA is almost 4.00, which is about where it was last year (non-small sample size).....you don't pay $75 million for a #4 or 5 starter....

Our decision making in acquisitions since 2009 ABSOLUTELY Skus!

Butcher is no help either. You can work as hard as anyone, but if you can't communicate your findings to your pitchers well enough, you are NOT a good coach. Hacker was the same way.

I'm thinking the only reason Butcher goes to the mound anymore is to buy time for the reliever to warm up, because I can't imagine what he could say that would help at this point.

Our decision making in acquisitions since 2009 ABSOLUTELY Skus!

Butcher is no help either. You can work as hard as anyone, but if you can't communicate your findings to your pitchers well enough, you are NOT a good coach. Hacker was the same way.

Although I am not happy with his outing last night AO, you also have to consider how well the $140 million Dodgers pitcher did last night? The starting pitcher market was fairly dry when we signed Wilson and I think, unfortunately, it was a necessary move at the time to bring in what we believed was a reliable arm.

Considering how much player salaries are skyrocketing the Wilson signing may not be as horrible as it feels. Look at some of the pitchers doing worse than C.J.'s 3.95 ERA right now:

C.C. Sabathia: 3.96

Brandon McCarthy: 4.36

Cole Hamels: 4.43

Ryan Dempster: 4.69

Tim Lincecum: 4.75

R.A. Dickey 4.85

Matt Cain: 5.00

David Price: 5.24

Tim Hudson: 5.37

Dan Haren: 5.43

Considering the fact we pay him $15 million per year he looks like a bargain compared to some of the names above.

I'm not excusing his poor performance but I guess what I'm trying to say is it is not quite as bad as it appears.