• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taking Stock (25-man roster)

Angelsjunky

Is this the Opening Day roster or does Dipoto have more up his sleeve?

I'll do this as depth chart of players we could possibly see in the majors in 2015, with bold face being the probable 25-man roster and capitals being the likely starter.

C: IANNETTA, Butera, Perez, Bandy

1B: PUJOLS, Navarro

2B: GREEN, Rutledge, Yarbrough

SS: AYBAR, Stamets

3B: FREESE, Field

LF: HAMILTOE, Cowgill
CF: TROUT

RF: CALHOUN, Robertson

DH: JOYCE, Cron

UT: Featherston, Krauss, O'Malley

Rotation: RICHARDS, WEAVER, SHOEMAKER, WILSON, SANTIAGO, Tropeano, Heaney, Rucinski, Alvarez, Sanabia, Snodgress, N Smith, (Skaggs)

Bullpen: STREET, SMITH, RASMUS, MORIN, RAMOS, SALAS, PESTANO, Herrera, Bedrosian, McBryde, Reynolds

Any changes need to be made? One glaring possible hole for me is if Freese gets injured. Presumably Green or Rutledge could fill in in a pinch, but the Angels have no one in the minors that's close to ready.  I put Field there, although don't know his status.

Also, as noted in another thread, there's one-too-many relievers in that bullpen, but I have no idea who the odd man out is - but Pestano seems most likely to start in the minors if all stay. ,or possibly one of Jepsen, Salas, or Pestano is traded.

Edited by Angelsjunky

If it were me...

We have our starting 9 (Cron at DH and Green at 2B).  

Our Rotation: (CJ Wilson will be dealt) Richards, Weaver, Shoemaker, Heaney and Tropeano (Rasmus in AAA)

Our bullpen: Street, Smith, Jepsen, Morin, Ramos, Santiago, Pestano

Our Bench: Perez ©, Cowgill (OF/PR), Featherston (IF) and Navarro (LH).

Rutledge, Krauss and Yarbrough in AAA.

But I think the Angels will end up doing everything I don't want them to. 

1. Rotation will be Weaver, Wilson, Richards, Shoemaker and Santiago

2. Heaney and Tropeano will be stuck in AAA

3. Rutledge will play 2B over Grant Green

4. Featherston will be offered back after spring training.

5. Salas will make it over Pestano.

These are all what I would consider stupid roster moves but they always seem to be the ones the Angels make.  

I'm not familiar with "Featherston."

no baldoquin? we DID just pay 8 million for him, and he DOES play the same position howie does. he's young, but they seem interested in plugging him in the bigs asap.

As I said in the first sentence, I'm only including players who conceivably could see major league action in 2015. I mean I suppose it is possible that Baldoquin does, but I think it is extremely unlikely.

If it were me...

Our Rotation: (CJ Wilson will be dealt) Richards, Weaver, Shoemaker, Heaney and Tropeano (Rasmus in AAA)

These are all what I would consider stupid roster moves but they always seem to be the ones the Angels make.

I couldn't disagree with you more Scotty. If Heaney or Tropeano kick ass in spring, why wouldn't they take a spot over Santiago? The other four deserve to be penciled into spots (though I hope CJ gets moved).

If Featherstone performs, he makes the team.

And I don't think Dipoto traded for Pestano and then tendered him a contract only to send him down to AAA.

If it were me...

I love Cron and am optimistic about Green. I like it

No one has it right, and no one will have it right until the last few weeks of ST. My thoughts though are as follows.

1) Richards may not be ready to start the season. Dipoto said two of Heaney, Tropeano, and Santiago will make the roster if that is the case. 

2) CJ Wilson is not going to be traded. 

3) Navarro and Cowgill both had OPS numbers under .700 last season. They both performed well enough, but I am not convinced they will both make the team. I am also not convinced that Cron will be the DH opening day.

4) Kendrick trade opens a hole at 2nd base but they now have four candidates to fill it. I don't think they'll bring back Beckham after selecting a middle infielder in the Rule 5 Draft today, but it's possible they do.

5) Trout will hit 3rd. 

6) The Angels have a set bullpen, but could deal from it in Spring Training if they feel another area needs improvement.

My starting 9

1) Calhoun RF

2) Green 2B

3) Trout CF

4) Pujols 1B/DH

5) Hamilton LF

6) Freese 3B

7) Aybar SS

8) Cron DH/1B

9) Iannetta C

Bench

Butera, C

Rutledge, INF

Featherstone, INF

Cowgill, OF

Rotation

Weaver

Richards

Wilson

Shoemaker

Santiago

Bullpen

Street

Smith

Jepsen

Morin

Salas

Ramos

Pestano

AAA Rotation

Heaney, Tropeano, Alvarez, Rasmus, Sanabia

AAA Bullpen

Bedrosian, Herrera, Sanabia, Raley, Severino, ?

Santiago, 2.96 ERA in the second half last season.  ERA of 3.75 on the season.  Low-90's fastball, decent control, good offspeed pitch.  "Get the hell out of the rotation!" -AW

What was Wilson's ERA in the second half last season? Read my post again before you post your usual nonsense

Good moves this week..  BUT, we lost even more speed now.  Angel's base running was suspect last year anyway and I don't think they sent Trout nearly enough to protect Pujols from GIDP's or to keep pitchers off guard.. Soooo.. Someone is going to have to fill in in the top of the order with some speed.  Agree?  Thoughts?

Who did we lose that has speed?