• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Blue Jays have "placed multiple calls" about Howie Kendrick.

Chuck

One of the many functions of a no-trade clause isn't necessarily to block a trade as much as it is to give the player negotiating leverage so that he could perhaps earn an additional sizable bonus or other such perks in order to waive his NTC.  Is it any wonder that the teams in Howie's NTC also happen to be his strongest suitors in the market?

Picture this, the Angels find a deal they'd love to accept that sends him to Toronto, but he doesn't need to accept such a trade.  So the Angels or Blue Jays offer him and extra couple million in bonus money just to waive his no-trade clause.  Howie's suddenly a couple million richer just for arbitrarily saying he can block a trade to Toronto.  Huge advantage. 

One of the many functions of a no-trade clause isn't necessarily to block a trade as much as it is to give the player negotiating leverage so that he could perhaps earn an additional sizable bonus or other such perks in order to waive his NTC.  Is it any wonder that the teams in Howie's NTC also happen to be his strongest suitors in the market?

Picture this, the Angels find a deal they'd love to accept that sends him to Toronto, but he doesn't need to accept such a trade.  So the Angels or Blue Jays offer him and extra couple million in bonus money just to waive his no-trade clause.  Howie's suddenly a couple million richer just for arbitrarily saying he can block a trade to Toronto.  Huge advantage. 

exactamundo, richie.

One of the many functions of a no-trade clause isn't necessarily to block a trade as much as it is to give the player negotiating leverage so that he could perhaps earn an additional sizable bonus or other such perks in order to waive his NTC. Is it any wonder that the teams in Howie's NTC also happen to be his strongest suitors in the market?

Picture this, the Angels find a deal they'd love to accept that sends him to Toronto, but he doesn't need to accept such a trade. So the Angels or Blue Jays offer him and extra couple million in bonus money just to waive his no-trade clause. Howie's suddenly a couple million richer just for arbitrarily saying he can block a trade to Toronto. Huge advantage.

If a player calls out my team as an organization that he doesn't want to be traded to and I have to pay more than another team to get him. I don't want him.

There is a reason the Dodgers, Angels, Yankees and Red Sox are routinely on no-trade lists. A player can extort these clubs for a buyout to agree to be traded. You don't put the Pirates or Marlins on your no-trade list.

Well, you DO put the Marlins on the no-trade list. If you don't want to play for them.

Well yeah, that's true. It's entirely possible that Howie legitimately doesn't want to play for those teams. I know he's from Florida originally so it is of interest that both Florida teams are on his NTC.

Or it could simply be coincidence. He can block deals to his strongest suitors.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

If Howie isn't traded and the Angels get a step closer to a ring next season would he be more likely to sign another team friendly deal in 2016?

It depends on what type of season he has. If he has a very good season and a lot of teams seem interested in signing him, he probably wouldn't do that. He would want to cash in on his last big contract.

Considering the state income taxes of Washington, Texas and Florida I would not put teams located in those states in my no-trade list.

If players were primarily concerned about taxes they'd block teams in NY and California. This almost never happens when players have limited no trade clauses, though.

That's not entirely true: Luis Severino

But you are correct when it comes to big league type players.

I should have said "nothing they'd be willing to part with". Would love to have Severino but the Yankees would be pants-on-head stupid to trade him for one year of Kendrick.

On the big league club they have Betances but I'm not sure that's a fit either.

I should have said "nothing they'd be willing to part with". Would love to have Severino but the Yankees would be pants-on-head stupid to trade him for one year of Kendrick.

On the big league club they have Betances but I'm not sure that's a fit either.

Yes you are probably right about the Yankees being stupid trading Severino. However I do believe Howie has more than enough value to pull down a top prospect from someone, just maybe not this particular player.

I could easily see the Angels sending Kendrick and CJ Wilson along with cash to get Severino plus 1-2 more prospects. The Yankees have a lot of questions in their rotation and a lefty would suppress opposing lefty hitters in that park. Wilson is a ground ball guy which would play into what looks like a decent defensive infield for the Yankees assuming they re-sign Headley or Sandoval.

Just my trade thought for today.

EDIT: It would have to be a significant amount of cash say $10MM or possibly more. But it would still reduce payroll for us and if we just sent cash for this season on Kendrick and/or Wilson someone else could pay for Wilson's 2016 season.

Edited by ettin