• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Attn: Hiring/Interviewers on AngelsWin - Is a follow up thank you call appropriate?

CaliAngel

Had a job interview for an accounting position today, and was told they had other applicants to interview before making a decision. This is a place I really want to work and they said they're looking to hire by next week, and they would get back to me to let me know about a second interview.

So I don't know if that's a bad sign to begin with, not setting up another interview immediately, but I thought overall the interview went well.

I wanted to get some advice about possibly calling on Monday, to ask to speak to my interviewer who is a controller in the company, just to say Thank You for spending the time to sit and interview me. I would also mention that I know they have other people to interview, but that it was the first place in a while I got excited about working for, and that I hope to hear from him soon.

What do you interview/hiring people think about doing something like that? Is it a bad move? Is Monday too soon, maybe wait until Wednesday? I would email him but I don't have his email address. I also don't want to waste his time, although I would try to make the call brief, only a minute long.

Any advice, ideas, or thoughts on what to do/not do, and if saying they'll get back to me is a bad sign, would be really helpful. I typically try not to think about getting a job so much after an interview, but like I said I loved the place immediately and this is the first job in a while that i'm actually excited about possibly working at.

Thanks in advance, I know some of you guys have a good idea about how these thing work.

-CaliAngel

Email.

Red hit the nail on the head. Try and use interview questions or conversation to reinforce what you like, how you fit, but mainly how you can benefit the company. I've never done them, but this day and age this is the norm. Email let's you be eloquent while a phone call will probably have a desperate voice inflection and if the guy is busy, he will just delete it when he sees it is nothing pertaining to work. For whatever reason, people generally always read emails.

The call you back is hit or miss. It's the standard for everyone, but mainly the go to for people not going to be selected. If it's a top notch company they will take their time with everyone and this is the norm for even the best people....but generally they have an idea of who to select and who to put in front of the main boss. They want the best hire, they may be inundated with interviews/resumes, or a lot of times he hiring process takes a while and needs to go through multiple hands before calling people back. 

^^It actually is a pretty top notch company, so I'm going to stay positive until late next week.

Also, my dad brought up to consider mailing him a letter and signing it, says it is more personal. I'm kind of afraid he might not get it. What do you all think of that? 

Thanks everyone for the advice, information, and input. I appreciate you taking the time to hear me out. If anyone else has something they'd like to share feel more than welcome to continue to post, I use all the help I can get. 

And mp170, I actually did a little searching and found his email on the companies website, so I will be sending him an email Monday.

Crossing my fingers. 

Edited by CaliAngel

^^It actually is a pretty top notch company, so I'm going to stay positive until late next week.

Also, my dad brought up to consider mailing him a letter and signing it, says it is more personal. I'm kind of afraid he might not get it. What do you all think of that?

Thanks everyone for the advice, information, and input. I appreciate you taking the time to hear me out. If anyone else has something they'd like to share feel more than welcome to continue to post, I use all the help I can get.

And mp170, I actually did a little searching and found his email on the companies website, so I will be sending him an email Monday.

Crossing my fingers.

CaliAngel don't call Monday - too soon.

I think one of the most effective tactics for interviewing is making known just how badly you want to go work for the company. Employers want you to be excited about going to their firm/company. If you can articulate why you are so excited about joining their company, that will really reasonate with most interviewers. Keep that in mind for your next interview.

This is just my opinion, but there's no need to wait until Monday. Chances are, he has his email synced to his phone, so he'd see it when the interview is still as fresh as possible. 

I love email because it allows you to really think through what you're saying and communicate as clearly as possible.

CaliAngel don't call Monday - too soon.

I agree that a call on Monday would be too soon, but what about an email or a note? I haven't done too many interviews, but I always appreciate it when I get a thank you email/note from the interviewee within 24-48 hours of the interview.

Excellent advice guys. I'm not going to call, and will instead write an email or send a letter.

So what do you think about mailing a letter? I would sign it and get it in the mail tomorrow and pay so it gets to the office by Monday.

Here's what I think I'm going to write.

Dear Mr. ----,

Thank you for taking the time on Friday to sit and talk with me about the Entry Level Accountant position at ---- ----- ------. The work environment and offices were very impressive, and it would be an amazing opportunity for me to begin my accounting career with your company.

All of the job duties we discussed including preparing billing sheets for flights, assisting with the monthly recap analysis, and organizing inventory counts are responsibilities I would be able to accomplish professionally. I also enjoyed how you went into detail about the positive changes in the company during the past year.

Coming into the office reinforced my excitement to become a part of the ----- ---- ------ team. My motivation for superior performance and ability to assist in various departments throughout the company will no doubt be a valuable commodity to the growth and future of ----- ----- ------.

It was great meeting you, and I look forward to hearing from ----- in the next couple days so we can move forward with the hiring process.

Sincerely,

-------

(sign my name)

Thanks again guys you are all giving great advice and input.

If you don't have an email address, a thank you note addressed to your interviewer is a nice touch, as well.

A thank you call runs the risk of being awkward, especially if they've already made the decision to go with someone else when you call.

I have gotten a couple of notes in the mail after an interview. Have yet to get an e-mail, although my e-mail address isn't hard to get.

Excellent advice guys. I'm not going to call, and will instead write an email or send a letter.

So what do you think about mailing a letter? I would sign it and get it in the mail tomorrow and pay so it gets to the office by Monday.

Here's what I think I'm going to write.

Dear Mr. ----,

Thank you for taking the time on Friday to sit and talk with me about the Entry Level Accountant position at ---- ----- ------. The work environment and offices were very impressive, and it would be an amazing opportunity for me to begin my accounting career with your company.

All of the job duties we discussed including preparing billing sheets for flights, assisting with the monthly recap analysis, and organizing inventory counts are responsibilities I would be able to accomplish professionally. I also enjoyed how you went into detail about the positive changes in the company during the past year.

Coming into the office reinforced my excitement to become a part of the ----- ---- ------ team. My motivation for superior performance and ability to assist in various departments throughout the company will no doubt be a valuable commodity to the growth and future of ----- ----- ------.

It was great meeting you, and I look forward to hearing from ----- in the next couple days so we can move forward with the hiring process.

Sincerely,

-------

(sign my name)

Thanks again guys you are all giving great advice and input.

Looks good, though what experience do you have, or training do you have, that would allow you to complete those tasks outlined? 

My motivation for superior performance sounds like some marketing crap and doesn't make sense. You could put something like.

I'm a dedicated employee who is looking for an opportunity to join a firm that will allow me to grow and be part of a team. We discussed how you are looking for someone who can assist in various departments and my ability to learn skills quickly makes me well suited for that type of role.

Also, if you don't have his email, a written letter would work. Or, did you coordinate the interview with someone like an HR Rep and if you had their email address you could send it to them and ask them to forward it on.

Cali, I would make would make your response much, much shorter. Like two sentences:

Dear Joe Blow:

Thank you again for taking the time to interview me last Thursday. I have been very impressed with everything I have learned about (company name), and I am hoping you extend me an employment offer.

I agree, it doesn't need to be that long.

Just thank them, say something that shows you paid attention to the important parts of the interview and you have a good understanding of the position.  Otherwise you sound like that guy that is going to keep calling and emailing to find out when you will hear about the position.  That guy never gets hired.

I agree, it doesn't need to be that long.

Just thank them, say something that shows you paid attention to the important parts of the interview and you have a good understanding of the position.  Otherwise you sound like that guy that is going to keep calling and emailing to find out when you will hear about the position.  That guy never gets hired.

Hiring for a government agency, fortunately we don't have that problem very often. On the couple of occasions I have gotten calls post-interview, I referred them to our HR department. We tell them during the interview that the process takes 6-8 weeks, and that every applicant gets a notification by postal mail.

I definitely wouldn't end with humility and indifference.

You're selling yourself, not picking between cable companies.

Humility ≠ Indifference.

You're complimenting the organization while implying that it would be an honor for you to work there. When I look for somebody to hire, I'm much more interested in the "thanks so much for the opportunity" person than the "I'm awesome and deserve this position" person.