• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Estimated Opening Day Salaries

gotbeer

With a new board, comes a new version.  Instead of breaking it down by year like I have done in the past, I have created a chart.  Google Docs Chuck, cough cough.  

So for now, here is the link to the doc.  

[gs]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AprnDWGvbY9ZdHZ4RDc2Z0tDT2Q4S19tR3pWNVRqaGc&usp=sharing[/gs]

Estimated Opening Day Salary

Here is the last one from the old board, that has links to previous years.

2014 Estimated Opening Day Salary

Please let me know if you see anything missing/incorrect.

• 6 months later...

You have 24 players listed, some of whom I'm wondering if they make the roster. 

Scott Cousins will not be on the opening day team. Sorry, but he's not. The third best reserve OF, maybe fourth. Not happening. Neither are John Hester (unless they trade Iannetta) or Cory Rasmus. Wasn't Cassevah cut? (Yes he's a member of the Rockies)

Neither is Joe Blanton for that matter. Or Tommy Hanson. Or Jerome Williams (at that Salary figure). And I doubt Chris Nelson is back, but maybe….So taking those away...

17 players make $137.625…I think Trout and Hank Conger will make more than you listed. What's that 17 player team look like? Forgot a few people from this years team too.

INF Pujols, Kendrick, Aybar, Green, Trumbo

OF Trout, Hamilton, Bourjos, 

C Iannetta, Conger

3-4 position player spots. Need at least one back up outfielder and a back up MINF or starting third baseman.

My picks would be Calhoun, Jimenez, and Romine or Tommy Field. JB Shuck is probably back too.

All make 500k or around there. $2M total.

SP Weaver, Wilson, Richards…need two guys.

I'd bring Vargas back for one of those spots, and try to trade for another guy to fill it. Save for that, you're either looking at Joe Blanton or Jerome Williams and Vargas… is that a playoff caliber rotation? No. 

RP Frieri, Jepsen, Burnett, JC Gutierrez.

Forgot Dane De La Rosa, who rounds out the pen. He definitely pitched well enough to guarantee him a spot over guys like Cory Rasmus. Leaves 1-2 spot for Michael Kohn? Or another name? Maybe Roth? Or maybe a FA? Adding a proven closer like the Beard is for sure a good add, but perhaps the finances preclude that from happening.

So now you're looking at a payroll of roughly $140 M with two rotation spots to fill and maybe add a closer as well? And no proven 3rd baseman, where a veteran platoon would be a good add. Also, need to consider the log jam that Trumbo/Pujols/Hamilton/Trout/Bourjos/Shuck/Calhoun currently occupy which is 7 guys for five spots. I don't think Shuck is starting caliber, but he is a decent lefty off the bench. 

Calhoun being able to fill in at 1st helps his case, when Trumbo is the DH at least.

So shopping list would be two starters, one of them who could be Jason Vargas, and also a third base veteran, and a closer. 

Since the Luxury tax is based off the 40 man roster and also includes benefits, they need to get a guy on the cheap for the rotation, or just let Blanton pitch every fifth day and hope for the best. That was a god awful signing.

Tanaka and Vargas would be my two picks, plus The Beard and Eric Chavez.

Realistically though, looking at these numbers, that can only happen if they unload salary. And that's not going to be easy outside of Kendrick and possibly Iannetta.

• 4 weeks later...

Updated with the Bourjos Trade.  Right now we are estimated at an opening day salary of $151.9 million.  Our Competitive Balance Tax amount is estimated at $159.9 million, with the cap at $189 million.  So about $29.1 million left.

I think you forgot about the 1/30th share which was about 10.8M in 2013 but expected to increase for 2014.  The only question is by how much.

I think you forgot about the 1/30th share which was about 10.8M in 2013 but expected to increase for 2014.  The only question is by how much.

Ok, added the players cost.  So the total goes up to $171.245 million.  I just did a simple 5% increase from 2013 for calculation sake.  So that leaves us at $17.75 million.  

If you're increasing 5% that would be 11.3M.  Using that figure, I'm still getting much more for CBT purposes.  This is how I figured it.

139.808M in current contracts and estimated arbitration salaries (17 players)

11.5M in new minimum salaries of 500K for the rest of the 40-man (23 players)

18.6M (f'n Wells)

11.3M  (1/30th share)

Total 181.208M

HaloFan, Minimum salaried club control players only get paid the league minimum when they are in the majors unless they have guaranteed major league contracts, which none of them do. They also get paid when on the major league disabled list.

8 players at 500 k = 4 M. There's 7.5 M.

I'm also still only counting 24 players and I fully expect Tommy Hanson, Jerome Williams, JC Gutierrez, and probably Chris Nelson and possibly Kevin Jepsen to be non-tendered. (I'd also replace Scott Cousins with JB Shuck, John Hester with Dane De La Rosa, and Cory Rasmus with Michael Roth, Michael Kohn, or Michael Morin).

That's another 11.8 Million off the books. 10.4 if they keep Jepsen.

I'm not saying that Arte and co. will go to the limit, but there's at least 19M less than your figure.

Tried finding what the salaries are for 'minor' leaguers on the 40-man and I found that while they don't get the full league minimum, they still get a portion of it that's added towards the CBT.

1st year players on the 40 man with no service time - $40,750 in 2014

2nd year players or any player with at least 1 day of service time  - $81,500 in 2014

I'm pretty sure every player on the 40 man has at least 1 day of major league service, so if this info is correct, those 15 would still account for 1.2225M.  I know, not much, but I'm just trying to figure the current payroll for CBT purposes, which looks to be roughly 174.5M at the moment

I also expect guys like Nelson, Gutierrez, Hanson, and maybe Jepsen to be non tendered, but until that happens, I'm just factoring in the salaries of the current 40 man roster.

The 40 man roster right now includes the 20 guys I am sure will be back (if no trades):

OF Trout, Calhoun, Shuck, Cowgill, Hamilton,

INF Pujols, Trumbo, Kendrick, Aybar, Freese, Jimenez, Romine, Field, Green, Navarro, Nelson

C Iannetta, Conger, Hester

SP CJ Wilson, Jered Weaver, Jerome Williams, Garrett Richards, Tommy Hanson, Joe Blanton, Matt Shoemaker

RP Ernesto Frieri, Ryan Brasier, Buddy Boshers, Dane De La Rosa, Sean Burnett, Robert Carson, Josh Wall, Fernando Salas, Juan Gutierrez, Cory Rasmus, Michael Kohn, Kevin Jepsen, Michael Roth, Nick Maronde.

Most of these guys have one day of service, but also most of the names in bold aren't going to be in Angels uniforms come Opening Day. Some will stick on the 40-man, some won't.

Some of these guys will be non-tendered, like Williams, Hanson, Gutierrez, Nelson and who will go on the 40 man in their place are guys who will be traded for or guys like Mike Morin, who might make the team out of spring, but almost certainly will get called up. Also some of these guys (Boshers, Carson, Wall) may just be outrighted to the minors. 

I'm guessing at least three names get added at least to the 25 man who aren't currently on the 40 man. I also think 10 guys are off the 40 man in total with the remaining 7 being guys who are coming from the minor league system. 2 of those at most have major league experience. Basically I'm saying 5 guys will be at the 40,750 figure, and 10 will be at the 81,500 figure.

Tried finding what the salaries are for 'minor' leaguers on the 40-man and I found that while they don't get the full league minimum, they still get a portion of it that's added towards the CBT.

1st year players on the 40 man with no service time - $40,750 in 2014

2nd year players or any player with at least 1 day of service time  - $81,500 in 2014

I'm pretty sure every player on the 40 man has at least 1 day of major league service, so if this info is correct, those 15 would still account for 1.2225M.  I know, not much, but I'm just trying to figure the current payroll for CBT purposes, which looks to be roughly 174.5M at the moment

I also expect guys like Nelson, Gutierrez, Hanson, and maybe Jepsen to be non tendered, but until that happens, I'm just factoring in the salaries of the current 40 man roster.

You think Williams makes the roster? 

@Alden_Gonzalez: Now on http://t.co/lSzxo6h7Z5: Angels exploring rotation options without Vargas http://t.co/1EHHXDLEk0 #Angels

The Angels now project to have roughly $11 million to spend before reaching the luxury-tax threshold of $189 million this offseason, and several needs remain: two starting pitchers, at least one reliever and depth everywhere.