• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Five years...

Good call Doc.

It was a truly devastating time for most Angels fans and Weavers tribute to him still chokes me up. Sometimes you think these guys are just athletes and forget they form strong bonds with each other and it was evident by Weaver scratching Nick's intials in the mound every game.

Edited by Eric Notti

One of the things I find so tragic (though I guess this will always be the case when one dies in an auto accident) is that so many different on-field events could have radically altered the game and, by consequence, the time Nick departed the stadium that evening.

For example, my recollection is that Mike Napoli made a critical throwing error that caused the game to go into extras. If he doesn't make that error, the game ends and Nick never gets hit by the drunk driver. Of course that logic can apply to so many other events within the game, but I can't help but think that some of the players might feel some sense of guilt about it all. Thus I think the sadness probably extends much further than would appear at a superficial glance.

Yah, a death of a stranger has never impacted me the way it did that day. I remember I was in Starbucks getting a cup of coffee before driving down to school when my co-worker told me. That 45 minute drive down to Palomar was scariest drive ever. I just remember getting in my car and being scared to drive.

R.I.P Nick.

Anybody else remember the day after when Roger Lodge and Dave Smith took the call from the anonymous security officer from UCI? Both Rodger and Dave took exception to his call only to find out a few hours later that he was telling the truth.

Probably the worst Angel memory I have. It's just above watching Dave Henderson's home run in 1986 that landed a few feet in front of me.

RIP Nick.

Edited by 19HALO71

One of the things I find so tragic (though I guess this will always be the case when one dies in an auto accident) is that so many different on-field events could have radically altered the game and, by consequence, the time Nick departed the stadium that evening.

For example, my recollection is that Mike Napoli made a critical throwing error that caused the game to go into extras. If he doesn't make that error, the game ends and Nick never gets hit by the drunk driver. Of course that logic can apply to so many other events within the game, but I can't help but think that some of the players might feel some sense of guilt about it all. Thus I think the sadness probably extends much further than would appear at a superficial glance.

I think it's something that crosses people's mind, but they can't put guilt on themselves. On the flip side, on could say what if the drunk driver had one less beer or watched the bar tv for a minute or two more.

Ultimately, the drunk driver made a terrible decision and that can't be put on others not involved.

The situation is still pretty surreal to me. It's actually one of the events that made me think about my attachment to sports. I was really shaken at work with the news and while upset there were two other people also affected in that car accident that people weren't talking about. I found it odd that this happens quite a bit in society, but I was so shaken that it was Nick.

What affected me the most was someone's life being cut way too short. I guess with following baseball we track and follow these guys, like watching them grow up. It's always troubling when someone with so much potential in anything has that taken away and with Nick it was in a way tangible that it wasn't with the other two in the car. Plus, we saw it just hours earlier.

Still tough to comprehend as I remember a lot about that day the same way I do about 9/11 (not placing importance, just showing the affect). The whole incident was just tragic.