• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

[Fangraphs] Will New Look Angels Rotation Fly High?

Angelsjunky

Summary: All of our pitchers are either in decline or have a mediocre arsenal of pitches, so hopefully the defense is good enough for us to not have five 4.00+ ERA starters. Optimism!

What that means to me is that our pitchers know how to pitch, not just throw the ball. So they shouldn't drop off a cliff in terms of production.

On another note isn't Skaggs fastball average? And use to be above average as recently as a year ago? 91-92 is average for a lefty.

I don't think I am quite as worried about Weaver as some.  His HR/9 last year was almost identical to his HR/9 the three preceding years (in which he was a top-5 Cy Young candidate each year), his Hits/9 was close to his career average, and while his K/9 was below his career average, it was identical to that of his stellar 2012 season.

Sure, if his fastball drops more there will be a problem, but whose to say it will continue dropping (as opposed to merely leveling out, or even going back up a tick or two)?  I don't think it is unreasonable to pencil in Weaver for 200 innings at 3.00-3.40 ERA.

I don't think I am quite as worried about Weaver as some.  His HR/9 last year was almost identical to his HR/9 the three preceding years (in which he was a top-5 Cy Young candidate each year), his Hits/9 was close to his career average, and while his K/9 was below his career average, it was identical to that of his stellar 2012 season.

Sure, if his fastball drops more there will be a problem, but whose to say it will continue dropping (as opposed to merely leveling out, or even going back up a tick or two)?  I don't think it is unreasonable to pencil in Weaver for 200 innings at 3.00-3.40 ERA.

Well the fact that he is the angels ace should be worrisome for everyone.

Weaver is a 2 or 3, wilson is a 3, and then the rest are 5th starters because they're so questionable.

Edited by Poozy

Thing is we dont really know right now what the rotation is... at this point its incomplete.

Most of this assumes that Skaggs starts the season in the rotation, i dont think thats the hope at all, i think the org wants him to start in AAA and get a little mojo back for a later call up, but thats just my 2 cents.

I think the real issues for the final spot if more likely between Mulder (who i think the org hopes wins it in ST), Blanton, and some of the other spare parts to buy a little time on the farm for Skaggs.  The only way i see Skaggs starting the season in the rotation is if none of those options pan out or if he earns the spot outright.. any of which is also very possible

He wouldn't have been the best performing pitcher on any of those teams last season. Maybe Pittsburg if you don't count Gerrit Cole. Not real sure what 'ace' really means, though. It seems subjective to the point of irrelevance.

Regardless, I don't see how any of that matters. Weaver isn't the problem. I worry a little about his future. I'd love to have a better pitcher going in front of him. But slotting Weaver into the number one spot isn't what will blow our season. If you want to see why we might lose you can look to literally any other spot on the team occupied by someone not named Trout. Because everyone else is more suspect in their current role right now than Weaver is in his.