• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Life sentence for drug dealing

Also, anything can be addictive. You don't see the creator of keno or blackjack in custody, same with the owners of McDonalds or other food establishments.

People seem to have this conception that only drugs are addictive or bad for you.

Crack kills, it is chemically addictive vs mentally addictive, it is a huge violent criminal enterprise.

Crack kills, it is chemically addictive vs mentally addictive, it is a huge violent criminal enterprise.

Obesity also kills, most food contains chemically addictive additives (didn't someone here post an article about a study of some soda brand containing more addictive chemicals than hard drugs?). The food industry, while not violent, is also a large criminal enterprise.....look up Monsanto, government ties, etc.

Legally owned guns are hard to obtain, more expensive, and traceable....should protection means need to be used. You're not going to call the cops and say someone stole 20 eightballs of coke.

Plenty of things are hard to obtain and cheaper on the black market.  They are still illegal.

And?

If you were to look up a lot of various state laws you'll find a lot of things you do are illegal. I'm sure you being a techy have downloaded something illegally.

I don't agree with the word illegal as always being a bad thing.

Here's a something the state of California thought should be illegal: Women may not drive in a house coat.

Blythe also deemed this to be illegal in city limits: You are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows.

Owning illegally obtained weapons and selling a dangerous substance is the same as driving in a house coat?  Give me a break dude.

Also, re: food.  It is also necessary to live, drugs aren't.

Look who profits off of drugs... violent gangs.

Yes Nate, I directly linked drugs to women driving.

Sure, get rid of painkillers and the myriad of other prescribable drugs because they aren't necessary.

You watch too many movies, Nate. Sure cartels and the mob are tied to drugs just like shady real estate deals, gambling, or any other diversified business they conduct. But a majority of dealers and creators are not some action movie and are older people, much like the grandma listed. If it was only violent gangs that profitted off drugs, sure. But it's mostly people like your neighbor or regular people just trying to get ahead.

Yes Nate, I directly linked drugs to women driving.

Sure, get rid of painkillers and the myriad of other prescribable drugs because they aren't necessary.

You watch too many movies, Nate. Sure cartels and the mob are tied to drugs just like shady real estate deals, gambling, or any other diversified business they conduct. But a majority of dealers and creators are not some action movie and are older people, much like the grandma listed. If it was only violent gangs that profitted off drugs, sure. But it's mostly people like your neighbor or regular people just trying to get ahead.

I was pointing more to crips and bloods, etc.  Maybe these two women weren't a part of gangs but I guarantee you their supplier was.

Gangbangers are low life people without the capital to run drug empires. Sure they nickel and dime bag, but they are so low on the DEA totem pole.

Who's to say they weren't creating their own drugs? 

You're giving too much credit to gangbanging and violence, especially here in the states. Most of the drug people I know are smart people, most business savvy on the business aspect while the creation aspect (of quality products) is literally like the Walter White types with a legit science background.

I'm sure they do.  Do you think selling drugs should keep somebody keep somebody in prison for life while rapists and murderers get out because there isn't enough room in the prisons?

someone in her position should probably not be put into the same prison/penitentiary as murderers and rapists. she could do her time in a lower security prison.

Edited by Tank

Brandon dropping some knowledge in this thread

Funny thing is I'm not even into drugs or pro drugs. Granted, I know a lot more than the average Joe about the industry, but the whole notion that because the highest criminals (the government) tells you something is bad or illegal makes it wrong is for the birds. They don't need to protect people from themselves.

Also, the argument that hard drugs are bad and worse than things that kill people just as bad or worse (I think food/health related deaths are tops) is like some 80's D.A.R.E commercial. Especially when people say, "but we need food, not drugs" like rice krispy treats, high saturated fats, and fast food are imperative to survival.

You don't have to be pro drugs to be anti hypocritical BS. When these laws are written, they aren't written with fair sentencing or actual prevention in mind. They're written to make a political statement for the next election cycle.

And for the record....you'll get my Reese's Peanut Butter Cups when you pry them from my cold, dead, chocolate smeared hands.

Edited by arch stanton

As for the article, drug related crimes should not receive the same punishment as murder, rape, or child molestation. Ever. A life sentence is absurd, even for a third offense. Even for a drug as bad as crack cocaine.

That is what is wrong with this country's judicial system. Filling prisons with drug dealers and users, taking up space that real criminals should be taking.

I agree with most here that the drug sentences are a bit too stiff, especially for a third strike situation. I would however differentiate between the user and dealer in that the dealer is more the criminal. I believe our society would do well in viewing users as more of a psychological problem, and make every attempt to handle them medically.   

Edited by Jim