• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Sign Dominican Righthander Lianmy Galan

John Smith

Inside, are you really telling me that Cron and Lindsay are major league ready after playing last year in AA?  Do you think Morin is ready for major league hitters after pitching for 31 innings in AA and Alvarez is ready after 48 innings in high A?  Isn't this stretching things a bit?  Like a year or so?

I did go and look up the top 100 prospect rankings and found, as you suggested, the Angels did not have one single prospect who made the cut.  In the meantime, the Rangers showed:

#39 C Jorge Alfaro

#59 2B Rougned Odor

#72 OF Michael Choice

#76 SS Luis Sardinas

#92 3B Joey Gallo

So what should I predict for this coming season?  The Rangers continuing to sign free agents, domestic and international.  The Rangers continuing to train and bring up top prospects.  Should I predict the Angels will remain in the running with them until say May 1st when the Rangers again suddenly shoot out way ahead and the season is effectively over?  Please tell me there is one thing the Angels have done better than the Rangers this off season which would justify their moving ahead of the Rangers this coming season.

Edited by avejoe1

Inside, are you really telling me that Cron and Lindsay are major league ready after playing last year in AA?  Do you think Morin is ready for major league hitters after pitching for 31 innings in AA and Alvarez is ready after 48 innings in high A?  Isn't this stretching things a bit?  Like a year or so?

Nah man, I'll do you the courtesy of responding but I'm pretty much done discussing anything.  

When I posted the Angels having produced the 9th most MLB players since 1996 in response to your talking about prospects rankings -- You said you didn't care about the past.

When I posted the international signings the Angels have graduated to the majors after you claimed they had not signed anyone of any merit since Kendrys -- You said it didn't matter, that you weren't interested in going over all that. 

When I posted how many players the Angels have graduated and used WAR to show how they have outproduced their Rangers counterparts since 2010 --  You completely ignored it again and tried to shift the debate.

When I pointed out how completely full of shit you were when you claimed the Rangers were calling up 5 guys (every year), to the Angels 2, and how they called players up instead of trading for their in season needs -- You glossed over it completely and again tried to shift the debate. Tell you what - I had looked up how many guys they picked up off waivers compared to the Angels but didn't bother posting it to save space, but you would have ignored that too.

Now you're questioning the possibility of Cron or Lindsey being able to help this year while talking prospect rankings again...  The irony being that none of the Rangers players you mentioned other than Choice (already in the majors), has seen more than 30 games above High A.... Hell, one of them has yet to make it out of Low A..  The hypocrisy doesn't end there ... you talk down Morin and Alvarez, apparently unaware that college RPs tend to show the most rapid upward advancement among minor league players.  I also liked how you listed a guy that has yet to start a single game in the majors and all of 12 in the minors as an established MLB starting pitcher.  Keep making things up, just don't expect anyone with a clue to buy into any of it.

You have proven you will believe what you want and focus solely on the things you "think" support your opinions.. You have shown that when you're proven wrong you'll just change gears and come up with some other scenario based completely on BS -- it's pointless.  My first post basically said rankings were nice, but ultimately it comes down to actually producing players -- the Angels have done that despite their many missteps and the Clay Daniels fiasco.  To quote you, "you'd have to be blind" not to see there has been a shift back towards the draft and concerted effort to again pursue international talent.

So, feel free to go on making erroneous statements, don't hesitate to drone and on about prospect rankings, and please continue to point to the standings as if they validate your opinions.... But this my last response on the subject.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Those 49er teams that annually "reloaded" were not playing by the rules. As you may recall they were found guilty of cheating the salary cap in order to put these teams together. Most of the FO people that were punished we punished after leaving SF. But there was penalties that caused them to be a lower tier team for ten years or so. If you are advocating playing fast and easy with the rules then I would say you are headed down the wrong path.

• 4 weeks later...

Avejoe, I get your points, but you could say the same about the dodgers (who you listed as doing better than us). They havent been better than us for longer than the second half of last season. And they spent 100 mill more to do that.

Obviously, we have spent a ton, and its been ugly. That said, how has that kemp contract worked out so far? Is agon earning his money? Im Jk ot saying it was a bad contract (fair market value), but was eating beckett and crawfords money worth him? How about ethier (who made the same money as pujols last year)?

Point being, the dodgers in another year or two are going to be very old and very expensive. Their saving grace is a great SP staff, which everyone should envy. But to imply they have been better or smarter than us is ignoring certain facts.

Ten;  I'm sorry but I haven't been on this thread for a while.  I am not a scout etc. so my arguments are apparently too simple for the advanced metrics guys which leads to me being "full of sh t".

The Dodgers have a star in Puig, an international signing that cost them only money.  With his youth and abilities, he may soon become a superstar.  The Rangers have a star in Yu Darvish, an international signing that cost them only money.  The Angels bulked up with six or seven first round draft picks over a two year period and came out with a superstar in Mike Trout, a down the road possible starter in Taylor Lindsay and two good lefthanders, Corbin and Skaggs who were traded away (Skaggs having been reacquired).  This is simplistic but illustrates a point.  These other teams have draft picks and international signings that they keep and build upon.  The Angels are lucky to have a few high draft picks but are hit and miss as to whether they pan out and, if they do, are often traded away...  The Angels have not for a long time signed any good international players. The stream of good, young minor league talent is just not there on a regular basis for the Angels.

Year after year, these other teams put layers of good, young players on their team, some from the draft and some from their international signings.  The Angels don't have the layers of good, young players from the draft or from the international signings to bring up to the major league club.  It is hard for me to see how this problem is to be rectified over the next four to five years without the Angels jumping in with both feet into the international market.  Thank goodness Dipoto kept the 1st round pick for this coming June.

I am no Dodgers fan so probably should not be arguing their side.  They don't care how much money they have spent because they have gone from irrelevant to relevant.  The Dodgers appear committed (Yankee like) to paying whatever they need to in the future to get better without regard to a budget.  I would expect that to include keeping their good minor league players acquired through the draft and through international signings as well as continuing to sign good players from both sources.  I would expect the Dodgers to remain on top of the NL West as a result.  I really do not like the feeling that the Dodgers are going to be the focus of Southern California sports news for quite a while to come.

I am not a scout etc. so my arguments are apparently too simple for the advanced metrics guys which leads to me being "full of sh t".

So Inside is that your last, last response to this topic?

I guess you missed it ... I didn't actually bother responding to "your topic" whatever you've changed it to this time....  I did however point out the obvious by posting the straw-man wiki in response to your statement made bold above... that's as far into your post as I got before I LOLed.

Also, don't mistake my disdain for your habit of distorting reality/truth and subsequent unwillingness to engage you in debate to mean I have no interest in the conversations started by others in this thread.... I'm excited by the Angels renewed effort to improve their farm system and am looking forward to discussing it with people here. 

"So", in response to your question...  Will you be making any more chicken-shit attempts to goad me into responding?  Because I don't really have a problem pointing out cowardly message board BS anymore than I did pointing out how "full of shit" you are..   The ball is in your court. 

Cheers.

Edited by Inside Pitch

• 3 months later...

So what should I predict for this coming season?  The Rangers continuing to sign free agents, domestic and international.  The Rangers continuing to train and bring up top prospects.  Should I predict the Angels will remain in the running with them until say May 1st when the Rangers again suddenly shoot out way ahead and the season is effectively over?  Please tell me there is one thing the Angels have done better than the Rangers this off season which would justify their moving ahead of the Rangers this coming season.

Looks like avgjoe1 was wrong on all accounts.  How surprising!  

And a nice start of his career by Galan.  So much of what matters at the Dominican Academy is off the field.  The Angels generally bring prospects stateside when they have the necessary maturity, independence, linguistic and cultural background and work ethic off the field as well as performance on the field.  Speaks volumes about guys like Ricardo Sanchez and Natanael Delgado for being able to make the transition stateside at such a young age.  It shows a great deal about who they are as people as much as it does who they are as ball players.

Inside, are you really telling me that Cron and Lindsay are major league ready after playing last year in AA? Do you think Morin is ready for major league hitters after pitching for 31 innings in AA and Alvarez is ready after 48 innings in high A? Isn't this stretching things a bit? Like a year or so?

I did go and look up the top 100 prospect rankings and found, as you suggested, the Angels did not have one single prospect who made the cut. In the meantime, the Rangers showed:

#39 C Jorge Alfaro

#59 2B Rougned Odor

#72 OF Michael Choice

#76 SS Luis Sardinas

#92 3B Joey Gallo

So what should I predict for this coming season? The Rangers continuing to sign free agents, domestic and international. The Rangers continuing to train and bring up top prospects. Should I predict the Angels will remain in the running with them until say May 1st when the Rangers again suddenly shoot out way ahead and the season is effectively over? Please tell me there is one thing the Angels have done better than the Rangers this off season which would justify their moving ahead of the Rangers this coming season.

This truly is an impressive amount of fail in one post.

• 2 weeks later...