• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pitching Notes: Garza, Arroyo, Buyers, Hammel, Williams, Byrdak

gotbeer

Pitching in Baltimore and Colorado is not easy.

he's the youngest of the options left, he induces a good amount of groundballs and he doesn't walk a ton of batters and he will come cheap

Don't care that he pitches in Colorado and Baltimore, because he's not any better on the road. Joe Blanton didn't walk many guys either.

He's going to be 31, not young. He is a horrible pitcher and would be a complete waste of money.

Pujols, Wilson, Hamilton. Not what you would call thrift store purchases. One day you are going to take your meds and read all of your Rainman posts and wonder wtf you were thinking.

So Vernon wells salary the last two years has not impacted our ability to upgrade our pitching staff through free agency? Right...

I stand by my statements.

Let's just sign Baker and have all these guys scrap for the 3-5 rotation spots.  Maybe a little healthy competition will get these guys playing at a high level in April for once and get us off to a good start.

I don't think Baker is good enough to push any of those other guys to be any better.

So Vernon wells salary the last two years has not impacted our ability to upgrade our pitching staff through free agency? Right...

I guess Wilson doesn't count as a pitcher and neither does Weaver's contract extension that everyone swore was not going to happen because of Wells.

The Angels spent money on what they wanted, not necessarily what you are single minded focused on. Of course when the pitching was on a role I'm pretty sure I remember you were saying the Angels couldn't upgrade their offense because of boat anchor contracts like Gary Matthews Jr.

Then they signed Hunter.

Edited by Eric Notti

no.  the entire salary of the team has impacted our ability to spend more money.  it's not just wells salary that counts. 

when he failed, the team signed pujols and wilson.  when that didn't work, they signed hamilton.  they've also give aybar, kendrick and weaver extensions. 

the limitation is that the collective group hasn't performed well enough.  Vernon is at the top of the list of offenders but his money in and of itself hasn't really limited the team from being aggressive and spending money.  They just didn't spend it wisely elsewhere as well.

I hate to say this, but beyond Weaver and Wilson, it looks like 3 #4 types. 

and I think that's being generous.  Richards and Santiago maybe, but Skaggs is a real wild card at this point in his career.  Could end up being a front-line guy, could be a flame out.  This team is dangerously close to having Joe Blanton in the rotation.  I just don't see how it's that much better, if any, than last year.