• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB.com top 100 prospects

Curious to see who could jump into the list by mid-season.  Hunter Green, Taylor Lindsey and C.J. Cron seem the most likely.  Green's added some serious muscle in the last year and may head straight to the Midwest League.  Lindsey's sitting just off the Top 100 right now and if SLC inflates his numbers up toward .300 with power he'd likely jump onto it.  If SLC does for Cron what it did for Trumbo I think you'll inevitably see him get some consideration as well.  

There are a few Angels prospects I'd take over a few of those guys. I've never been remotely impressed by Jon Singleton and feel that Cron is a considerably better Major League fit despite Singleton being ranked 27th in 2013.

Then there's Joey Gallo, who is an absolute butcher at 3B with no reasonable shot at playing anything but 1B/DH in the majors. He cracks the Top 100. I'm just not impressed by his .245 BA in A Ball. He has one tool and one tool only. Power. But if pitchers in A ball sent him back to the bench with his bat on his shoulder 165 times in only 106 games, I hate to see what happens when he reaches AA, he may strike out 300 times in a full season, but no worries, as long as he hits .200 with 40 HR's. Even if this guy makes the necessary adjustments his likely outcome is to be Mark Reynolds.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

Lindsey was one of the youngest players in the texas league.  Played in a hitters park where he struggled yet put up excellent numbers on the road.  Plays solid middle infield defense.  Nothing spectacular of course.  Granted, his upside may not be that of many others, but he has done nothing but produce and be at least a year younger than everyone else in the league. 

He hit .362 in rookie ball.  Sure a lot of guys do that, but most are college players.  He was 19.  not to mention he was 8th in slg% that year.  Everyone above him was at least 2 if not 3 years older. 

I don't like the Cano comp so much.  I think this is a better comp for him:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=utley-002cha

:);):P

Yeah, don't like MLB.com putting his hit tool at 50. I think that's selling him short a bit

Is 20 HR power a possibility with him? BP, BA, etc all don't seem to think that's the case, but the improvement this past year in that area gives me hope.

He may not be highly touted, but if the power keeps coming, maybe he can settle in as a constant .280+ hitter with 20 or close to 20 HR a year. That would make him one of the better offensive 2B in MLB and a definite impact player

It seems to me that the Angels' philosophy these last few years has been the type that goes undervalued by ranking systems.  Outside of Green and Middleton last year, these last few drafts have felt like "high floor" drafts.  Instead of signing high ceiling/low floor players like Bolden and Clarke, they've instead identified high floor players that may not have the flashy tools of high ceiling players. 

This approach will naturally lead evaluators, who focus on ceilings, to undervalue the system as a whole.  However, for who the Angels are and the places they've picked in the last few drafts, this seems like a solid approach.  Teams in smaller markets--the Twins/Rays/Pirates of the league--have a harder time signing high-priced free agents.  They have to draft high ceiling guys to be successful.  The Angels seem to have made it clear that they plan to go after big free agents and use the system to fill out the holes with solid, if unspectacular, players. 

The true wild card in this type of approach is a team like Oakland.  Instead of focusing their attention on stars/role players, they look for value at every position.  They want players whose production is relatively easy to forecast.  Then they put those players in the best position to succeed, using platoons and statistical averages to highlight players' strengths.  I think you see certain teams moving toward that this offseason, specifically the Twins.