• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels exercise patience with free agent market - mlb.com article

rick99gtp

Honestly though, do we really only have two measurements of production for pitchers? "Good" and "Joe Blanton"? I'll say it again: Joe Blanton did not set the bar for disappointment. He went so far beyond it to the point of absurdity. It's like using Trout as the bar for young prospects to play to.

What we need to consider is that last season our 6th starter, Jerome Williams, got the most starts on the team. This year or current 6th starter is Joe Blanton.

None of these guys look any good, but crossing our fingers is not going to prevent 30 starts from falling on the shoulders of our 6th and 7th pitchers. I think our current starting 5 is reasonable, but not spectacular, but only one of them threw 200 innings last year. Last year's demise fell almost squarely on the performance of the '7th starter' and our inability to replace terrible performances in the rotation. This team really could've used a Tanaka, #2 type pitcher but now that that is off the table the team seriously needs to address the likelihood of legitimately terrible performances by the depth guys.

I'm not convinced that Arroyo would be any better than Jerome was here in 2013.

I don't think that is fair AO.  Arroyo has had a much better career than Jerome.  Arroyo has had 9 years in row of 200+ innings pitched and 5 of those years he has a sub 4.00 ERA.  Jerome could never accomplish that.

Capuano would get lit up in AL.

At this point, I am now hoping for Arroyo and that sucks to say.

Possibly. Pitchers who make the transfer from the NL to the AL always come with some risk. Although I think this is massively overstated here. The NL is weaker without the DH, but it's not as if the NL is the minor leagues to the AL. Pitchers still have to face good hitters and pitch in extreme hitters parks like Coors.

Guys like Kuroda, Scherzer and Sanchez made the transition no problem. Now obviously those guys are on a different level than Capuano. The point is that we can't just assume every pitcher will suck when coming over from the NL.

Realistically, someone like Capuano or Maholm are unlikely to make a huge impact on the team. The point is really about having options to go to going into the season. There's always a decent chance that one of the main guys start the year on the DL, in which case Mulder basically forces his way into the rotation. We all know who comes after him.

I understand not wanting to spend money on depth, I really do. The best depth comes from within. unfortunately the Angels don't have that luxury. Plus in this day and age, 6 million per is about the going rate for marginal pitching talent. It isn't going to hurt anyone's wallet.

I don't think that is fair AO.  Arroyo has had a much better career than Jerome.  Arroyo has had 9 years in row of 200+ innings pitched and 5 of those years he has a sub 4.00 ERA.  Jerome could never accomplish that.

That is a good point.    But considering Arroyo's age and it being several years since he pitched in the AL, Arroyo could just as easily finish with a 4.50 ERA here, which was Jerome's ERA in 2013 over 169 innings.

The one area where Arroyo would help this staff is his control (1.5 BB/9 innings in each of the past 2 seasons).

Edited by Angel Oracle

What's with all the love for Maholm?

The guy has pitched for 9 seasons, and only one year has he been over .500. Career record of 76-95 with a 1.397 WHIP and 9.7 hits/9innings. That's Blantonesque.

He has thrown over 200 innings in a season only once in his career. His career WHIP is worse than Blanton's and his ERA only slightly better. 

We can do better with someone else.