• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Sign C Chris Snyder to Minor League deal

nate

Meh...  maybe they were trying to show some faith in Conger...  Maybe they wanted him to settle down and take the job.  Maybe all this means is that Scioscia was right?

I agree completely they should have looked at their options better, but I do understand them having wanted Conger to take the opportunity and not "throw it away".

I'm guessing they were trying to show faith in Conger and wanted him to seize the opportunity as well, but I think there's a middle ground where you hope for that, but still cover yourself in case that doesn't happen.

And it seems like they completely missed that middle ground, which is how you end up with the likes of Chris Snyder or John Hester looking like a good bet to make your Opening Day roster without an injury.

Is it too late for Conger to learn 3b?

Not unless third base had become the beer league right field where the least skilled defensive player is pigeon-holed to play. 3rd base is not just where you stick a bat because there is no position to play him. Trumbo found that out real quick. It is a difficult position to play. The way Conger throws, the opposition's dugout had better be wearing mitts and watching third base.

Unfortunately, for Hank catcher is his best position. He is raking the ball, and the fact that he is going to be replaced is a shame. Particularly for the floatsam that keeps getting dredged up to fill catching depth.

Don't give up on Conger just yet ... It's only temporary if he doesn't t make the team.

I didn't hear any statements to the effect that they are giving up on Conger.  My opinion is that they think Conger can get his throwing straightened out best at AAA where he can play everyday.  If he can do that, then so long to Snyder and Hester.

I didn't hear any statements to the effect that they are giving up on Conger.  My opinion is that they think Conger can get his throwing straightened out best at AAA where he can play everyday.  If he can do that, then so long to Snyder and Hester.

Last 4 years in the minors: 28%, 37%, 29%, 30%.

Perhaps there's another reason for his failure when under Sosh's watch.

Not unless third base had become the beer league right field where the least skilled defensive player is pigeon-holed to play. 3rd base is not just where you stick a bat because there is no position to play him. Trumbo found that out real quick. It is a difficult position to play. The way Conger throws, the opposition's dugout had better be wearing mitts and watching third base.

Unfortunately, for Hank catcher is his best position. He is raking the ball, and the fact that he is going to be replaced is a shame. Particularly for the floatsam that keeps getting dredged up to fill catching depth.

I was kidding and Conger sucks.   Mike hates him anyway.   He won't be catching for the Angels any time soon.

I'll play devil's advocate here and remind everyone that Snyder was signed to a "minor league deal". That does not equal "automatic spot on the 25 man roster".

For all we know, Conger is the favorite to take the backup spot and Snyder was signed for depth purposes. If Conger or Iannetta get hurt, or Conger doesn't work out, bam, Snyder.

After everything that's been said about Conger's throwing troubles, I have a hard time still seeing him as the favorite for the backup spot. If their feelings on Conger's ability to handle the job hadn't changed that much, I don't think they would have brought Snyder in halfway through camp.

And Snyder can opt out of his deal if he's not on the Opening Day roster, which seems like a definite possibility with the limited availability of catchers this time of year, so he may not really be depth either. He may not be guaranteed a 25-man roster spot, but I think he's much closer to one than Chris Snyder really should be...ever.

Here's to hoping Iannetta plays 150+ games

Ya, that's the only reason I really care about the backup catcher at all. If we had Yadier Molina, the backup catcher is going to start 20 something games over the course of the season.

But even when you factor in all the time Iannetta was getting dicked around by Jim Tracy in Colorado, he's not really a guy who's going to go out and only need a couple days off a month.

And even then, I don't think Chris Snyder being the backup catcher is the end of the world even if he holds the job all season(which I wouldn't count on because he's Chris Snyder), but it's kind of sad how the backup catcher outlook this offseason has gone from

Bobby Wilson --> Conger --> Guy who very possibly is worse than Bobby Wilson