• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Sign C Chris Snyder to Minor League deal

nate

Really, this is the defensive catcher they were looking for? It's very possible he's not even better than Hester in that regard(they're wayyy down there at 86th and 87th)

http://blogs.thescore.com/mlb/2012/10/04/fogging-the-measure-catcher-defense-ratings-final-2012-edition/

Little better throwing arm, but still not good, and also not good at blocking pitches. Mike Fast's pitching framing studies have liked him in the past, but not enough to make up for the being bad at throwing or blocking parts of catcher defense.

And of course, he really doesn't hit anymore.

I really like Dipoto, but he planned poorly with the backup catcher spot. 

Considering Conger's defensive struggles in the past, there should have been been more done to cover them there then adding Luke Carlin.

Instead the FO effectively ignored the very possible chance that Conger's defense wouldn't be up to their standards while there were actually good backup catchers out there and now we've scraped the bottom of the barrel for Chris Snyder.

Considering Conger's defensive struggles in the past, there should have been been more done to cover them there then adding Luke Carlin.

Instead the FO effectively ignored the very possible chance that Conger's defense wouldn't be up to their standards while there were actually good backup catchers out there and now we've scraped the bottom of the barrel for Chris Snyder.

Agreed.  It does seem odd that all of a sudden Conger's defense isn't good enough for him to be the back-up catcher.  If this was the case, they should have done more in the offseason to get help.

Meh...  maybe they were trying to show some faith in Conger...  Maybe they wanted him to settle down and take the job.  Maybe all this means is that Scioscia was right?

I agree completely they should have looked at their options better, but I do understand them having wanted Conger to take the opportunity and not "throw it away".

Here's a crazy idea. If the plan is to make Snyder the primary backup catcher, why not carry Conger also. He is better than any other left hand hitting option we have off the bench. We don't really need another reserve outfielder or infielder. Conger can swing the bat as a pinch hitter or occassional DH, and still catch some. He could be working on his throwing in pregame workouts and getting his confidence back up. All the while he could be helping the big club. I know he has an option left, but if he isn't in the long range plans, use him offensively some and try to build up his trade value.