• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

a theory . . .

WallyWorld

Dipoto has been stocking up on IF and recently said John McDonald has a good chance to make the team.  Perhaps they looked at Garza, realized it was going to cost them more years and $ than they were comfortable with, and now plan on trading Kendrick for SP?  They'd have Romine, McDonald, and maybe even Ian Stewart to cover 2B, with Lindsay waiting in the wings.

Dipoto has been stocking up on IF and recently said John McDonald has a good chance to make the team. Perhaps they looked at Garza, realized it was going to cost them more years and $ than they were comfortable with, and now plan on trading Kendrick for SP? They'd have Romine, McDonald, and maybe even Ian Stewart to cover 2B, with Lindsay waiting in the wings.

They also have Grant Green. I have no problem with them trading a middle infielder, I just with it was Aybar instead of Howie.

I swear, if McDonald makes the team out of spring training I'm gonna make a Dipoto voodoo doll and stab it in the crotch every time McDonald starts and goes 0-4, while screwing up two hit-and-runs in the process.  That way Dipoto will get that same "kicked in the nuts" feeling that I will.

That said, what you are proposing certainly passes the smell test.

They also have Grant Green. I have no problem with them trading a middle infielder, I just with it was Aybar instead of Howie.

jesus, I completely forgot about Green!! Agreed, I'd personally rather be rid of Aybar, but I'm more comfortable trading Howie because of the backups.

Glen, this team could easily absorb the loss of Aybars bat as long as he brings us a solid starting pitcher. I think Aybar would be a great pick up for a team that doesn't want to lose a draft pick acquiring Drew.

if you could guarantee me right now that Romine or whatever combo of guys play SS next year hit like .240 with an OBP at least close to .300, and not completely shit the bed, I'd be thrilled to trade Aybar for good SP.

Glen, this team could easily absorb the loss of Aybars bat as long as he brings us a solid starting pitcher. I think Aybar would be a great pick up for a team that doesn't want to lose a draft pick acquiring Drew.

My beef is with McDonald, and Dipoto saying he'll probably make the team.  I'd much rather give the farm system kids a chance before McDonald.  They'll easily surpass his batting numbers and probably give us something equal on the field.  

if you could guarantee me right now that Romine or whatever combo of guys play SS next year hit like .240 with an OBP at least close to .300, and not completely shit the bed, I'd be thrilled to trade Aybar for good SP.

I am guessing he would put up very similar numbers to what you just projected. He can run the bases well also. I get the feeling he would be able to handle the bat a little, as far as hit and runs or getting the bat down, but he will never be better than average offensively, and that's ok.

I am guessing he would put up very similar numbers to what you just projected. He can run the bases well also. I get the feeling he would be able to handle the bat a little, as far as hit and runs or getting the bat down, but he will never be better than average offensively, and that's ok.

yeah, I feel like he would too. i just think there's a chance he completely tanks and we have a black hole in our lineup for the whole year. 

WW, I feel ya, but to be honest this team can handle a black hole in the line up. Also keep in mind we can still pick up a solid SS at the trade deadline. Considering this team from last year, if I had to choose between an all bat SS or an all glove SS, I would most certainly take the glove.

better market right now for 2B though... especially in NY.   they dodnt do all this stuff to finish second and i dont think they really want to go into the year with 36 year old Roberts as the everyday 2B.  alas, they do not need a SS.. or they could i supposed move Aybar to 2B and have depth in that way for when Jeter inevitably gets hurt.

I'm definitely not opposed to trading Howie or Aybar. 

A Green/Romine platoon at 2B would be decent. Romine at SS isn't a terrible idea either although I would prefer if they could find another platoon partner with him. 

At this point, I think they should stand pat with regards to trading anyone. If the Angels are out of it at the deadline, then trade both those guys. 

Aybar is about the 13th best shortstop in the majors and he's signed for $8M a year. He's also coming off a not so good year.

The Cardinals, who were desperate for a SS, would not give up any of their starters for him.

As for Kendrick, the Angels no doubt would have preferred to trade him instead of Trumbo but no one wanted to give up a pitcher for him.

They won't get anyone who makes them better in 2014 for trading either guy. It will be either a guy who is no better than one of the FAs (Capuano, etc) or a risky prospect who isn't ready now.

Aybar is about the 13th best shortstop in the majors and he's signed for $8M a year. He's also coming off a not so good year.

The Cardinals, who were desperate for a SS, would not give up any of their starters for him.

As for Kendrick, the Angels no doubt would have preferred to trade him instead of Trumbo but no one wanted to give up a pitcher for him.

They won't get anyone who makes them better in 2014 for trading either guy. It will be either a guy who is no better than one of the FAs (Capuano, etc) or a risky prospect who isn't ready now.

if those are the facts, which may or may not be the case, then i wouldn't trade either one of them. i do believe we need one more starter and a closer or late inning reliever at the least.

i think our bullpen is going to be an issue again this year, but i hope for the best.

Thanks for the insight, Jeff.

Perhaps a lot of us overestimate the trade value of Aybar and Kendrick (shocking, I know).  But why not sign a cheaper SP FA, like Capuano, AND trade Kendrick for a pitching prospect who helps later in the season or in seasons to come?  Angels need as many young, talented, and cost-controlled arms as they can get their hands on at this point.

Thanks for the insight, Jeff.

Perhaps a lot of us overestimate the trade value of Aybar and Kendrick (shocking, I know). But why not sign a cheaper SP FA, like Capuano, AND trade Kendrick for a pitching prospect who helps later in the season or in seasons to come? Angels need as many young, talented, and cost-controlled arms as they can get their hands on at this point.

Because then you're weakening yourself in 2014 when you need to compete.

If they're out of it in July or if Lindsey/Green has shown enough development to play everyday, they could do it then.

If they're out of it in July or if Lindsey/Green has shown enough development to play everyday, they could do it then.

I guess where I disagree slightly, is that I don't think replacing Kendrick with Green/Lindsey/McDonald et al before the season would weaken the Angels all that much in 2014.  There would be some drop-off offensively, but the lineup should have more than enough depth to absorb that (we all have to work off the assumption that Pujols & Hamilton will be rebound somewhat, otherwise everything about 2014 is a moot point).

The advantage to trading him now - and maybe I'm wrong and it doesn't make much difference at all - is that I would assume he would have more value now than at mid-season when he's half a season closer to hitting FA (I know he isn't a FA until 2016, so we're talking 1.5 seasons vs. 2, but that has to make some difference, no?)

This is where I'm at.

I have no issue if they trade Howie and Aybar later in the year.

But trading them now would be kind of odd unless they were getting a starter who was younger or very close to major league ready.

But trading them now would be kind of odd unless they were getting a starter who was younger or very close to major league ready.

Which I've always assumed would be the case, but perhaps like Jeff said, Aybar or Kendrick wouldn't get you someone like that in a trade.

Green can't play defense every day in the majors at any position right now. Lindsey isn't ready. McDonald can't hit.

Kendrick is money in the bank reliable on both sides. You know exactly what you're going to get. For the Angels to take the immediate hit of losing him at 2B they'd have to definitely upgrade the rotation, not just better than what they have but better than they can get without trading Kendrick (Capuano, etc)

I just don't see that happening