• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dilemmas

Michifan

So, if the Angels pay the big bucks Garza's seeking, are they overpaying and will get criticism for crippling the organization with overpaying another under-producing big name?

If they don't, and stand pat with what they have, are they instead not doing enough to try to win now? 

Either way, the debates will rage on. Somehow I don't see it happening that they sign Garza and it turns out to work perfectly, but I'm happy to be wrong. I actually feel there's a better chance that Richards, Santiago, and Skaggs actually turn out to complete a pretty good rotation. I also actually think there's a better than 50% chance that Mulder finds a place in long relief or starting if needed or if one of the others can't do it. 

I have also been known to believe in Santa Claus,the Easter Bunny and the '86 Angels, though, so I have no real credibility.

I have mentioned it in other threads but with or without Garza this isn't a playoff team.

Wow

So with a goal of making the playoffs why even watch the games this season?

Right now every team has a chance to make the playoffs sans the Astros and Marlins probably.

Even without Garza and we get a healthy Pujols I'm super excited about the Angels chances going into spring training. They've gotten much better and I believe Pujols/Hamilton will put up numbers we're used to seeing from them this year.

Wow

Right now every team has a chance to make the playoffs sans the Astros and Marlins probably.

Even without Garza and we get a healthy Pujols I'm super excited about the Angels chances going into spring training. They've gotten much better and I believe Pujols/Hamilton will put up numbers we're used to seeing from them this year.

Yep. Baseball is so much about chance and luck, and the talent is definitely here. Did anyone think the Red Sox had a chance to finish better than fifth last season? It isn't hard to envision a scenario where a few things break right and the Angels win 95 games. A healthy Garza could help make that happen.

Wow

Why spend 50 million on a pitcher that has arm issues and hasn't pitched a full season since 2010 when the chance of making the playoffs is almost nil?

You screw the team for the next two or three years, not just this one.

Edited by nate

Why spend 50 million on a pitcher that has arm issues and hasn't pitched a full season since 2010 when the chance of making the playoffs is almost nil?

You screw the team for the next two or three years, not just this one.

I'm with you on avoiding Garza..  But, this is likely an improved team from the one that most saber types felt was a 90 win team last year.  I agree with what you said about the team having depth issues, but one thing it doesn't have going into this season that still did exist last year are questions about who plays where.   There is no CF controversy, there is no overflow of 1B like two years ago.   The OF is set, the IF is set, some feel it's better with Freese than it was with Callapso (I'm a bit of a doubting Thomas there), due to his NL track record offensively.   The bench for better or worse is pretty clearly defined and say what you will about our farm system, Lindsey and Cron could prove to be useful before the year is out.   Those guys are closer this year than they were last, and the future is now for Jimenez and company.

I won't go as far as saying they are a legit contender, but they are a pitcher or two away at least being in the conversation.   I have no idea what to make of the bullpen in part because bullpen volatility could mean that DDR is awful this year and someone who was bad may be awesome, but at least they aren't counting on two guys who have yet to throw a pitch so while it may not be a good bulpen it's less likely to be the early season disaster that we saw last year when the team was signing guys being released after ST.  Sign a SP or two, create a safety net for Skaggs/Santiago and I like this team a lot more than the one we had last year.

The Trumbo trade has a chance to completely turn this team around.

Edited by Inside Pitch

The chances the Angels make the playoffs is almost nil? Thanks for letting me know. I'll cancel my mlb.tv package right away. You just saved me some money I can spend on other things, like betting on a sure thing like whether or not the Groundhog sees his shadow on February 2nd.

I'm with you on avoiding Garza..  But, this is likely an improved team from the one that most saber types felt was a 90 win team last year.  I agree with what you said about the team having depth issues, but one thing it doesn't have going into this season that still did exist last year are questions about who plays where.   There is no CF controversy, there is overflow of 1B like two years ago.   The OF is set, the IF is set, some feel it's better with Freese than it was with Callapso (I'm a bit of a doubting Thomas there), due to his NL track record offensively.   The bench for better or worse is pretty clearly defined and say what you will about our farm system, Lindsey and Cron could prove to be useful before the year is out.   Those guys are closer this year than they were last, and the future is now for Jimenez and company.

I won't go as far as saying they are a legit contender, but they are a pitcher or two away at least being in the conversation.   I have no idea what to make of the bullpen in part because bullpen volatility could mean that DDR is awful this year and someone who was bad may be awesome, but at least they aren't counting on two guys who have yet to throw a pitch so while it may not be a good bulpen it's less likely to be the early season disaster that we saw last year when the team was signing guys being released after ST.  Sign a SP or two, create a safety net for Skaggs/Santiago and I like this team a lot more than the one we had last year.

They were strong contenders the past two years per the pundits, yet we finished in 3rd place.

I really like what Dipoto has done so far and he's not done yet. I'm super excited about this team and adding Garza for a reasonable price elevates my enthusiasm even more.

Even if Garza gives us just 150 innings this season, if he's quality like I think he can be, we still have some depth to replace him in Skaggs, Shoemaker and Mulder.

The offense will be better this season than the past two and we weren't that bad in that area to begin with, despite the injuries and 1st half Hamilton slump.

They were strong contenders the past two years per the pundits, yet we finished in 3rd place.

I really like what Dipoto has done so far and he's not done yet. I'm super excited about this team and adding Garza for a reasonable price elevates my enthusiasm even more.

Even if Garza gives us just 150 innings this season, if he's quality like I think he can be, we still have some depth to replace him in Skaggs, Shoemaker and Mulder.

The offense will be better this season than the past two and we weren't that bad in that area to begin with, despite the injuries and 1st half Hamilton slump.

If we sign Garza who is your starting 5?

They have to add another starter.  It's a must.  They just cannot leave Blanton on the depth chart at all.  Why?  Because regardless of whether you agree or disagree about the teams chances next year as a fan, the current club is set up to take advantage of a pretty small window of potential opportunity.  If you are the FO, you aren't maximizing that opportunity by leaving things as they are currently.  You have a real chance to make the team a better for 2014 and you are essentially obligated to do so or why bother putting together the team as constructed in the first place?  If you are going to go 90% and then not patch an obvious hole when the patch is available, you might as well have just blown things up from the start. 

I'm with you on avoiding Garza.. But, this is likely an improved team from the one that most saber types felt was a 90 win team last year. I agree with what you said about the team having depth issues, but one thing it doesn't have going into this season that still did exist last year are questions about who plays where. There is no CF controversy, there is overflow of 1B like two years ago. The OF is set, the IF is set, some feel it's better with Freese than it was with Callapso (I'm a bit of a doubting Thomas there), due to his NL track record offensively. The bench for better or worse is pretty clearly defined and say what you will about our farm system, Lindsey and Cron could prove to be useful before the year is out. Those guys are closer this year than they were last, and the future is now for Jimenez and company.

I won't go as far as saying they are a legit contender, but they are a pitcher or two away at least being in the conversation. I have no idea what to make of the bullpen in part because bullpen volatility could mean that DDR is awful this year and someone who was bad may be awesome, but at least they aren't counting on two guys who have yet to throw a pitch so while it may not be a good bulpen it's less likely to be the early season disaster that we saw last year when the team was signing guys being released after ST. Sign a SP or two, create a safety net for Skaggs/Santiago and I like this team a lot more than the one we had last year.

IP, this is one of my favorite posts I have ever read on here, seriously. This is exactly how I feel. This team also has things to look forward to like Skaggs, Santiago, Calhoun and the development of Conger. I am also looking forward to seeing Freese,

Much more than I ever was Calaspo (racist).

If we sign Garza who is your starting 5?

I would go Weaver, Wilson Garza, Richards and whoever is best in Spring Training between Santiago, Skaggs and Mulder. If Mulder is very good he gets the nod regardless of how the others do. Then Satiago to the pen (making it even stronger) and Skaggs to AAA.

They have to add another starter.  It's a must.  They just cannot leave Blanton on the depth chart at all.  Why?  Because regardless of whether you agree or disagree about the teams chances next year as a fan, the current club is set up to take advantage of a pretty small window of potential opportunity.  If you are the FO, you aren't maximizing that opportunity by leaving things as they are currently.  You have a real chance to make the team a better for 2014 and you are essentially obligated to do so or why bother putting together the team as constructed in the first place?  If you are going to go 90% and then not patch an obvious hole when the patch is available, you might as well have just blown things up from the start. 

Agreed -- they need to add another SP.