• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We traded away the wrong power hitter

Pujols will be DH in two years at the rate his knees are going. We could have kept Kendrys to be the 1B. Signed him to a 4 year deal or something

Only time will tell, but Morales was going anywhere that would pay him top $$$ and allow him to play first base. The Angels are banking on more than 3 years of first base work from Albert.

Another pissfest by AD

It's ST dude. Calm down. Morales is a FA after the season, will be 30 years old and is limited to being a marginal defensive 1B now because of his injury. Trumbo, meanwhile, is 3 years younger, much cheaper and can play the OF and 1B. He simply offers more to the team and helps keep things flexible with the roster AND with the payroll

You act like Arte can just throw money around left and right, but it's not that simple. Trading Morales over Trumbo/Bourjos was the right business decision for the present and future. They made the right call in this instance

Now, your concerns over Trumbo are justified, I have the same ones.

Another pissfest by AD

It's ST dude. Calm down. Morales is a FA after the season, will be 30 years old and is limited to being a marginal defensive 1B now because of his injury. Trumbo, meanwhile, is 3 years younger, much cheaper and can play the OF and 1B. He simply offers more to the team and helps keep things flexible with the roster AND with the payroll

You act like Arte can just throw money around left and right, but it's not that simple. Trading Morales over Trumbo/Bourjos was the right business decision for the present and future. They made the right call in this instance

Now, your concerns over Trumbo are justified, I have the same ones.

If you want to say marginal defense ... well just say it but because of his injury is just plain laughable.

AD, it's like a one way street with you.  Someone says something positive about the team or a player, and you come up with how they are a homer (in the negative use of the word).  If we don't get critical like you, then that's all wrong in your eyes.  I personally find so far fewer issues with this team relative to all other MLB teams that playing review critic with them is kind of silly.  The Angels are a high achievement organization; can they get better - sure.  Does the performance to date deserve to be continually dissected and torn apart - no.  I'm sorry, but I can't partake in your constant grumbling. 

Since when is Arte worried about cost? I thought we were trying to go all out for the WS NOW? If that's the case...then you should keep the better player in my opinion that is Morales.

This was a short term value move. Vargas for Morales is a salary swap that puts more payroll into the starting lineup and less on the bench. It allows the Angels to keep a player (Trumbo) in the lineup long term rather than create a hole in the lineup next year when Morales leaves via FA.

Really went on the attack there didn't we AD?  Let's clear this mess up. 

1. I said Richards would eventually be a #2 starter, and I stand by that, it won't happen for a couple years, but it will. 

2. I believe Cron will hit 30 HR in the major leagues. 

3. I never said ANYTHING about Trumbo posting a .900 OPS

4. I PREDICTED that someday, Bourjos would hit .280 or .290 with 15 HR and 40 SB.  This season I've got him around .280 with 15 HR and 30 SB.

5. Mark Trumbo wasn't worse that Brandon Wood, that was a very foolish thing of you to say. 

As for the rosy reds....

1. I was among the first to claim Kendrick would not win a batting title due to his issues with the low and away slider.  I took heat for it, but it's looking pretty good so far (unless we count ST, which we don't, which makes your post all the more ridiculous).

2. I predicted Kendrick's down season in 2012. 

3. I am predicting a slight dip in Aybar's numbers.

4. Also predicting Hamilton falls short of 30 HR.

5. I predicted Santana's down season in 2012 (though not to the degree it occurred).

6. I unfortunately predicted Reckling's downfall (a great guy still).

7. I predicted Morales would be better than Casey Kotchman (when everyone was in love with him as a prospect).

In conclusion, yeah, I'm rosy red.  I think Pujols will have a good year, Trout will be as good if not better in 2013 than he was in 2012 and Bourjos will be an absolute stud.  But when it comes to my ability to judge a player's assets and abilities, well I'm pretty good at that.

I know I'm not alone in this, but have you actually thought about this before posting it?  Trade a 30+ HR hitter entering his prime with 4 years left on his extremely team friendly contract for one year of Jason Vargas.  Now THAT would be a head scratcher.  Will Morales be good in Seattle?  Yes.  But will he be so good that we needed to dump Trumbo with 4 cheap years left?  Haha, no.  

At the time I didn't like the trade because I felt Morales would kill it in the contract season, and for a rival.  His potential impact is much greater for the Mariners than Vargas is for us due to their extreme need for a MOTO bat.  So to a certain extent I think AD has a valid point, even though there is no real reason to go on about it now.

Really went on the attack there didn't we AD?  Let's clear this mess up. 

1. I said Richards would eventually be a #2 starter, and I stand by that, it won't happen for a couple years, but it will. 

2. I believe Cron will hit 30 HR in the major leagues. 

3. I never said ANYTHING about Trumbo posting a .900 OPS

4. I PREDICTED that someday, Bourjos would hit .280 or .290 with 15 HR and 40 SB.  This season I've got him around .280 with 15 HR and 30 SB.

5. Mark Trumbo wasn't worse that Brandon Wood, that was a very foolish thing of you to say.

As for the rosy reds....

1. I was among the first to claim Kendrick would not win a batting title due to his issues with the low and away slider.  I took heat for it, but it's looking pretty good so far (unless we count ST, which we don't, which makes your post all the more ridiculous).

2. I predicted Kendrick's down season in 2012. 

3. I am predicting a slight dip in Aybar's numbers.

4. Also predicting Hamilton falls short of 30 HR.

5. I predicted Santana's down season in 2012 (though not to the degree it occurred).

6. I unfortunately predicted Reckling's downfall (a great guy still).

7. I predicted Morales would be better than Casey Kotchman (when everyone was in love with him as a prospect).

In conclusion, yeah, I'm rosy red.  I think Pujols will have a good year, Trout will be as good if not better in 2013 than he was in 2012 and Bourjos will be an absolute stud.  But when it comes to my ability to judge a player's assets and abilities, well I'm pretty good at that.

I know I'm not alone in this, but have you actually thought about this before posting it?  Trade a 30+ HR hitter entering his prime with 4 years left on his extremely team friendly contract for one year of Jason Vargas.  Now THAT would be a head scratcher.  Will Morales be good in Seattle?  Yes.  But will he be so good that we needed to dump Trumbo with 4 cheap years left?  Haha, no.  

Reading comprehension...I said Trumbo was worse than Wood the last two months of the season...that's a true statement. You got pretty emotional in the rest of your post so I won't go any further with that.

of top my head, when the traded away Morales and kept a younger cheaper Trumbo and decided to sign Blanton and let Greinke go.

It didn't sound like that was Moreno's idea to me based on Arte's recent interview:

It still boggles my mind that you feel this way after bashing Morales most of last season. And obviously you don't understand the logic. If your numbers are accurate but Vargas is 17-5 this year, will you still feel right? What about when Morales signs a big deal with the Yankees. Or in 2014 Trumbo hits .290 and has 40 home runs. This isn't a 1 year argument. It will take a few years to look at it. But I'll be happy when IEBruin bumps this in 2 months when you're wrong

Not sure this was emotive at all, and as OregonLAA eluded to, this is something we'll take a few years to look at.  The way I see it, would you rather have one year of Morales at .290 40 DB 30 HR for 3.5 million or 4 years of Trumbo with a collective .270 average, 120 DB's, 120+ HR's for around 10 million....total.  

The logic seems pretty simple to me.  Wait, you're Angelmania?