• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

To the people who don't want Tanaka..

Iwakuma maybe hasn't established himself as a good pitcher yet (I agree that it takes more than just one full season to do that), But Iwakuma WAS one of the very best starting pitchers in baseball last year...and I am sure nobody expected that, otherwise you would've seen a mad dash for his services.  

Despite having success in Japan, Iwakuma wasn't projected to be anything more than a back-end starter in the majors by scouts (from what I recall). Also, compare Kuroda's #s from Japan to his major league numbers. Kuroda's MLB numbers are better than his numbers from the JPCL. The point is, we simply don't know how Tanaka is going to translate in the majors. Guesses that are a little more than just random guesses or not, they're still guesses.

I also don't really like looking at WAR for pitchers (rWAR or fWAR). WAR for pitchers isn't very reliable. For instance, fWAR doesn't do Jered Weaver justice, since FIP doesn't accurately show how well he actually pitched. Weaver is better than his FIP. A large chunk of Weaver's value comes from his ability to limit hits (and baserunners as a result). FIP doesn't recognize any of that. Therefore his WAR is invalid.

Edited by Angels

I am not sure Tanana is the answer. This franchise has gotten themselves I. A lot of trouble with the "win now" philosophy. I also do not believe we are a playoff team without a player like Tanaka. So a decision has to be made. Either decide to be the top bidder for Tanaka and go for it this year or extend Trout and rebuild. If Tanaka is too much of a gamble I say we trade both Kendricks and Ambar and load up the farm. Then extend Trout and plan on competing for 2015. y

Iwakuma maybe hasn't established himself as a good pitcher yet (I agree that it takes more than just one full season to do that), But Iwakuma WAS one of the very best starting pitchers in baseball last year...and I am sure nobody expected that, otherwise you would've seen a mad dash for his services.  

Despite having success in Japan, Iwakuma wasn't projected to be anything more than a back-end starter in the majors by scouts (from what I recall). Also, compare Kuroda's #s from Japan to his major league numbers. Kuroda's MLB numbers are better than his numbers from the JPCL. The point is, we simply don't know how Tanaka is going to translate in the majors. Guesses that are a little more than just random guesses or not, they're still guesses.

I also don't really like looking at WAR for pitchers (rWAR or fWAR). WAR for pitchers isn't very reliable. For instance, fWAR doesn't do Jered Weaver justice, since FIP doesn't accurately show how well he actually pitched. Weaver is better than his FIP. A large chunk of Weaver's value comes from his ability to limit hits (and baserunners as a result). FIP doesn't recognize any of that. Therefore his WAR is invalid.

As have many who come from Japan. Ignoring 1.20 ERA/A couple dozen complete games would be pretty ignorant imo.

Mark - you forgot Irabu, Hasegawa and Kazuo Matsui on your list of "average-at-best" Japanese players... My post was only enumerating the 4 above average players...

Actually, I was pointing out several above average players that YOU had forgotten.

Tanaka is a risk, but I believe he's a low-to-medium risk. The reward could be astronomical.

Garza is medium-to-high risk with medium reward. They might both cost similar amounts.

Give me the guy who is five years younger and does not have a history of injuries.