• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tanaka to be posted soon by Rakuten

Sciosciapath

I'm thinking same state, different team. Rangers have Darvish, they might want to pair him with Tanaka. Playing alongside another Japanese ace might appeal to Tanaka. Then if they really wanted to just for shits and giggles, they could turn around and trade off a Martin Perez and prospects for David Price and dominate the division with pitching.. Their GM seems to value run prevention, and that team has more than enough offense to win with a pitching staff like that.

You just killed my boner. Congrats.

I'm thinking same state, different team. Rangers have Darvish, they might want to pair him with Tanaka. Playing alongside another Japanese ace might appeal to Tanaka. Then if they really wanted to just for shits and giggles, they could turn around and trade off a Martin Perez and prospects for David Price and dominate the division with pitching.. Their GM seems to value run prevention, and that team has more than enough offense to win with a pitching staff like that.

Ugh. A Darvish-Price-Tanaka-Holland-Lewis rotation is insane.

Ugh. A Darvish-Price-Tanaka-Holland-Lewis rotation is insane.

Look at the bright side -- it might force the Angels to make run prevention their biggest priority again..  Or maybe if we are lucky the Angels are doing their playing dead routine and they sign both Tanaka and Garza to try to win their third straight offseason championship.. 

Edited by Inside Pitch

He'll probably end up being posted, but there hasn't been anything today that indicates that he'll be posted for sure. In fact, this was posted this morning on MLBTR.

Golden Eagles Trying To Convince Tanaka To Stay In Japan
By Steve Adams [December 16, 2013 at 8:18am CST]

The Rakuten Golden Eagles will try to convince Masahiro Tanaka to stay in Japan for one more season, according to a Sponichi Report passed along by NPB Tracker's Patrick Newman (Twitter link). Taking things a step further, a source indicated over the weekend to George A. King III of the New York Post that Tanaka won't be posted until after the 2014 season.

Of course, the Golden Eagles do not need Tanaka's consent to retain him for another season. However, denying their ace of his wish to come to the United States may not look good to the public and could damage the club's relationship with Tanaka and other players down the line. Last Sunday, Golden Eagles president Yozo Tachibana told reporters that he would likely post Tanaka is he wished to come to MLB.

Reports since then have indicated that the team would struggle with the decision of whether or not to allow Tanaka to come to the Major Leagues or hold him back due to displeasure with the new posting system. As of last Tuesday, Tachibana was planning to speak with Tanaka this week regarding the decision, and assistant GM Aki Sasaki went on record as saying: "I don't know if $20 million is fair value for this kind of trade" (per Yahoo's Jeff Passan).

If there is indeed an announcement that Tanaka will remain in Japan for another season, the starting pitching market should accelerate quickly, with names like Matt GarzaErvin Santanaand Ubaldo Jimenez seeing their stocks rise significantly.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/golden-eagles-trying-to-convince-tanaka-to-stay-in-japan.html#disqus_thread

You guys are crazy with these contract values. Didn't Darvish get something like 6/60? Darvish is a far surperior pitcher. Why would Tanaka get double? Go with the proven #3 in Garza for 5/70 and call it an offseason. Let the Yankees break the bank with this guy.

First, the posting fee is $30 million less than Yu.

Second, it's not one team that will be bidding for Tanaka's services.  It'll be 10, 20, maybe all the entire league making a play for Tanaka.  And if 2 get hooked needing his services, it'll make an intense bidding war.  

And if Garza was going to sign for 5/$70 some team would have done it already.  My bet is, he's going to try and get a 7 year deal.  Which is his right, since this will probably be his last shot at a big contract.

You guys are crazy with these contract values. Didn't Darvish get something like 6/60? Darvish is a far surperior pitcher. Why would Tanaka get double? Go with the proven #3 in Garza for 5/70 and call it an offseason. Let the Yankees break the bank with this guy.

This offseason is completely different than the offseason Darvish signed. Had Darvish come over this year, he would be commanding something similar to what Tanaka will command. 

Jason A. Churchill ‏@ProspectInsider 1m

I don't know as many Int'l scouts as I used to but in asking around the worst comps I rec'd on Tanaka were Shields, Cahill and Lynn

Not bad if that's his "worst" comps. Really hope the Halos find a way to get this guy. 6-7 year deal would not bother me since they'd be getting him starting with his age 25 season(he's like 7 months younger than Garrett Richards). Get this guy for his 25-31 years and they'd be getting him at his peak

Edited by bloodbrother

Market. Its not a hard concept.

A 6 chick becomes a 10 in a small town. A california condo is more expensive that an arizona home. Its why cellphones get very cheap right before the new one comes out.

Tanaka projects to be the best of the available pitchers. You can't compare him to guys who are not available any more than you can compare him to guys who are retired (pay wise).

Yes I agree. I heard they are not interested in Garza anymore. Could be either he wants to go to a West coast team (home) or they are hot on Tanaka trail

It's not going to happen. Yankees need too many starters, they have too much invested payroll wise (see my post in the other Tanaka thread) and unless they get A-Rod's contract voided, they'll be for sure over the CBT even if they don't sign Tanaka.

I think Tanaka gets 100M.  Someone will overpay.  Mariners? 

6/90? 7/105?

IMO, I don't think that's an overpay.  $15 million a year for a starting pitcher is almost cheap now.  Feldman got $10 million, Nolasco got $12 million, Colon got $10 million a year for 2 years at 41 years old.  And then Johnson got $8 million and we are paying Blanton $7.5 million.  It's a gamble, but for $3-5 million more than what these starting pitchers are making per year, there is a lot more upside to the gamble.

Now if we are talking 6/$147 like what Greinke got, then that's an overpay.

I believe Arte will make a legit offer for this guy. He obviously does not WANT to go over the tax (who wants to pay a tax?) but I don't doubt that he will for the right player.

The only thing that will prevent Tanaka from being an Angel is Tanaka himself. I don't think money will be the issue. I could be wrong, but it's just the feeling I get.