• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stephen Drew vs. Matt Garza

Docwaukee

Doc, have to hand it to you for some original thinking. I will have to think about this some more. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what Akbar can net us. And, I really think the whole hold up is on whether or not Tanaka gets posted. Once that is decided and we know more we stand in terms of signing him, decisions like this become more or less palatable.

Admiral akbar should net us a good haul. He did in fact lead the rebels against the death star. To victory I might add.

Or, we can just trade Kendrick and play Green there.

I think the idea is that Drew could easily replace both the offensive AND defensive production of Aybar, whereas Green can only replace the offensive production of Kendrick. I imagine Green playing a full year at 2nd would be like if the Angels had kept Trumbo at 3rd all year in 2012. Yeah, he's that bad.

He's not THAT bad. I just remember how bad Kennedy and Kendrick were when they came up. Not as bad as Green but not good. They both became above average defensively. I don't see why Green can't become league average at 2nd.

They were never bad.  Both Kendrick and Kennedy were plus defenders according to the metrics although Howie's time at 1B his rookie year left a lot to be desired.  They both had been labeled as mediocre to bad defenders by the same people who had called Howard Kendrick a future batting champion.  Those guys were wrong then too but, it didn't stop people from running with the misinformation as if it were true.

I don 't understand the love for Drew. He was plain awful in the last post season. At his age who needs him for three years. Aybar is still better but is a frustrating player to watch. The Angels have to look toward player development and stop trying to use FA to build a team.

I mentioned in another thread that Aybar's early season injury may have impacted him defensively for longer than thought.

In 2011/2012, he was as good defensively as just about any SS in the AL.

He only turns 30 in 2014.    Hold on to him at least until Stamets is ready, and maybe even until Rondon is ready. 

I just don't see anyone wanting Aybar who would also be willing to surrender the type of talent that makes it worth it to the Angels. He's a good shortstop, coming off a bad year. 

Mets, maybe. Orioles maybe (as they need help with either Aybar or Hardy moving to 3rd).

Next season, when he is hopefully coming off a better year would be a better time to move him. 

Stephen Drew is also not that good, and losing a draft pick in order to sign him to a high dollar 10+M a year deal isn't likely worth it.

Also, neither is signing Matt Garza. 

I'd think they should look at rotation depth at this point, sign a guy like Bronson Arroyo or Jason Hammel to a short term contract. It would be better than committing #2 money to Garza.

They were never bad.  Both Kendrick and Kennedy were plus defenders according to the metrics although Howie's time at 1B his rookie year left a lot to be desired.  

This got me thinking a bit. I'm wondering if the Angels are planning to use Howie at 1B a little bit next year when Pujols needs to DH, and they can slide Green in at 2nd. Obviously, Calhoun can play 1B too but in games where Pujols DH's and Calhoun is in the OF, I bet they try using Howie at 1B a little bit.