• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tanaka Not Being Posted (Rumor)

VariousCrap

Yes.  9 years till Japanese free agency.  He just completed year 7.  So the team has control of him for 2 more years.  

Also remember, he just lead the team to their first Championship.  So him coming back for another year may have more benefit to the team than posting him for the same amount that they can get after next season.  

Thanks. That's what I thought. Unfortunately, with the new posting limit, it would probably be smarter if they kept him and posted him next offseason.

Hmm

While the relevant parties have given their blessings to a new posting agreement between Nippon Professional Baseball and Major League Baseball, there is still no resolution to Masahiro Tanaka’s situation.

The Eagles were widely expected to post Tanaka this offseason, but the newly agreed upon system, complete with a $20 million cap on posting fees, seems to have the team rethinking things.

“First of all, discuss it with him,” Rakuten president Yozo Tachibana was quoted as saying by AP from MLB’s winter meetings in Orlando. “I don’t know if he wants to do it.” Tachibana has said his priority is to convince Tanaka to remain with Rakuten.

Under the auspices of the old agreement, the Eagles were virtually guaranteed a financial windfall. Now they won’t even recoup market value whether Tanaka is posted or leaves as a free agent two seasons from now.

Ironically, the system hurriedly pieced together to facilitate Tanaka’s move could keep him in Japan.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2013/12/14/baseball/eagles-put-in-tough-spot/#.Uqz3DPRDvD4

His japanese team has indicated that they'd respect his wishes although they are not obligated. 

I thing there is some passive aggressive play going on here with the owner of the Japanese team being pissed about losing near 50mil.  He knows that US teams are trying to figure out how to structure their teams for the coming year and is inclined to mess with that a bit.

I think he's gonna get posted at some point within the next two weeks. 

this was obvious when the new deal was decided... they got hosed.... other teams there were talking about kicking in money to help them... its a joke.  its good for mlb and once again proves the owners need protection from themselves... good for the player.. not so good for the team posting him. 

this was obvious when the new deal was decided... they got hosed.... other teams there were talking about kicking in money to help them... its a joke. its good for mlb and once again proves the owners need protection from themselves... good for the player.. not so good for the team posting him.

$20 million is about what an entire Japanese teamd payroll tops out at. They are not getting hosed.

In the old system it would have been like Jered Weaver going to the Nippon Ham fighters and they would owe the Angels over $500 million in posting fees to be the equivilant of what Davish got for his former team, nearly three years of payroll relief.

Next off season he is a Japanese league free agent. He won't belong to his current team thus they won't be able to post him. The following year he can be an international FA and posting will not be required for him to play in US. This is his current teams last chance to make any money from his free agency.

Incorrect.  He is not a free agent for another 2 years.

I don't believe they can post him next year. Because he will be a FA in the Japanese league. He won't belong to his current team. From what I read this is their last chance to make money from his leaving.

And you would be incorrect.  In Japan the team owns your rights for 9 years.  He is in year 7.  He can be posted next season, but will be a free agent the season after that.  

Just because they are entertaining posting him this offseason does not automatically make him a free agent the following season.

9 years sounds like a lot, but it's actually much less than in the US.  In the US, a team has to put you on the 40 man by their 5th year.  4th year if over 19.  After they put you on the 40 man, they have 3-4 option years.  And after they put you on the MLB team, they have 6 years of service time.  So in theory, you could be on a team from 18, and they could own your rights for as much as 15 years.   

CJ Nitkowski article on MLB.com from 12/13/13 is my source. I googled the article to make sure I wasn't imagining things. It is there but I am not sure how to import it to AW. I sent it to FB. The article does state that the player can be me a domestic free agent after 8 years and international after 9. The article states these facts as why he will definitely be posted. The owner is pissed that the new posting cap cost him between 30-40 million bucks. Hopefully tanaka fell in love with the angels the one year we had hidecki Iranian. Not sure he is old enough to remember shigatoshi hasagawa and his brilliance as an Angel.

CJ Nitkowski article on MLB.com from 12/13/13 is my source. I googled the article to make sure I wasn't imagining things. It is there but I am not sure how to import it to AW. I sent it to FB. The article does state that the player can be me a domestic free agent after 8 years and international after 9. The article states these facts as why he will definitely be posted. The owner is pissed that the new posting cap cost him between 30-40 million bucks. Hopefully tanaka fell in love with the angels the one year we had hidecki Iranian. Not sure he is old enough to remember shigatoshi hasagawa and his brilliance as an Angel.

Yes in Japan the FA'cy domestically is 8 years.  But players rarely elect to go that route.  Like less than 10% and usually it's fringe players that elect to go this route.  Internationally it's 9 years.  So he will be posted next year, if he isn't this year.