• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Yankees already trying to court Trout

bloodbrother

....and are now being investigated for possible tampering

Bill Shaikin ‏@BillShaikin 9m

MLB plans to investigate #Yankees president Randy Levine's comments about #Angels Mike Trout to see if they consititute tampering.

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR 6m

MLB spokesman Pat Courtney says commissioner's office is investigating whether Randy Levine is guilty of tampering, re: Trout comment.

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR 40m

#Angels GM Jerry Dipoto said he had no response to Yankees prez Randy Levine's comment that they'd give Mike Trout a 10-yr deal (more)

Jeff Fletcher ‏@JeffFletcherOCR 39m

That being said, my guess is the Angels weren't thrilled with it.

And here is what he said today. F'in Yankees can't have him

Bryan Hoch ‏@BryanHoch 3h

"If Mike Trout was here, I'd recommend the 10-year contract. But for people over 30, I don't believe it makes sense." - Randy Levine

So not even a week ago we hear this article from Alden Gonzalez: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131209&content_id=64513898&notebook_id=64514316&vkey=notebook_ana&c_id=ana

Then Mike Scioscia makes a remark about it being fun to see how Mike plays over the next 15 to 20 years: http://aldengonzalez.mlblogs.com/2013/12/11/2117208/

And now the Yankees make a statement like this? Coincidence? Sounds fishy to me I hope the Yankees suck Cartman's b*lls for the rest of their years!

I don't think there was anything to it…I think every team in baseball is going to be interested in Trout if/when he hits the open market. I actually agree with his comment. If it was Trout, giving him a 10-12 year contract is great, but once you get into the 30+ players, it is a bit questionable.

With that said, give Trout 10 years and whatever he wants!!

I actually think it probably was a somewhat innocent off-the-cuff remark, but it would be cool to see them get busted for tampering.  What's the punishment, a fine?

Ya, it would just be a fine.

I wouldn't object to MLB fining them because f*ck the Yankees, but honestly this seems more like Levine making a comment about not wanting to go 10 years to a guy over 30 and then picking the most obvious guy you would offer 10 years to, than legitimately trying to screw with anything.

Ya, it would just be a fine.

I wouldn't object to MLB fining them because f*ck the Yankees, but honestly this seems more like Levine making a comment about not wanting to go 10 years to a guy over 30 and then picking the most obvious guy you would offer 10 years to, than legitimately trying to screw with anything.

Although it is totally unlikely I'd love it if the fine actually counted against their payroll for this season and it turned out to be just enough to push them like $27 over the luxury tax threshold. :P

Edited by ettin

I don't think there was anything to it…I think every team in baseball is going to be interested in Trout if/when he hits the open market. I actually agree with his comment. If it was Trout, giving him a 10-12 year contract is great, but once you get into the 30+ players, it is a bit questionable.

With that said, give Trout 10 years and whatever he wants!!

Pretty sure the problem is that teams cannot actively comment about money and the sort when it refers to a player under contract by another team.   

How in the world is that tampering? I guess since they're probably not allowed to mention names of players no in the organization then maybe, but that's nothing to get upset over

It's against the rule to negotiate contracts with players under contract with other organizations. Levine stating that he would recommend giving Trout a 10 year contract is interfering with the Angels negotiations with Trout. Obviously it's certainly a stretch of the rules if they are going to get into trouble over this, and it's not like Trout doesn't have any idea what he is worth, but we now have a member of the Yankees front office going on record as to what they view Trout's value at. It can only hurt the Angels negotiations with Mike.