• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels-Relevant Left-Handed Starting Pitching Data

AngelsWin.com

Robert, I passed this along to Jerry Dipoto. I'm sure he'll dig the research you did. I added that you were a rocket scientist in real life too. lol

Robert - I passed it onto Santiago (at Chuck's suggestion).  He favored it!  (Twitter talk).

Nice job!

that's what's up. 

dude provides some solid info on a forum, and it gets directly delivered to the gm and the pitcher himself. that's what keeps me coming back.

Ettin, I will read this on my computer. It's difficult to read on my phone. I love all the stuff you put up here. I learn a ton, I was just giving you a hard time.

LOL, I was just joking with you Stradling, thus the smiley face with the tongue sticking out. :P

So a thought occurred to me that perhaps PITCH f/x is confusing Santiago's slider and curveball so I pulled up the heat maps at FanGraphs:

502327_L_CU__2013_40_14_0_20130924.png

502327_R_CU__2013_40_14_0_20130924.png

Here is the slider:

502327_L_SL__2012_40_14_0_20121001.png

502327_R_SL__2012_40_14_0_20121001.png

There does appear to be a small difference so I don't think there was any confusion for PITCH f/x. Also it looks like against LHH's, Santiago makes a conscious effort to add a touch more of horizontal plane break and against RHH's he tries to get a touch more vertical plane break in both the curve and slider.

If this (great) information has to be sent to the FO from an Angel's blog, it makes me wonder why the hell doesn't DiPoto have this information already.  Or maybe he does.  I would expect that in 2013 all FO's would have this on every pitcher in their organization as well as those they are considering trading for.  If not, the OP should send in a resume' ASAP

If this (great) information has to be sent to the FO from an Angel's blog, it makes me wonder why the hell doesn't DiPoto have this information already.  Or maybe he does.  I would expect that in 2013 all FO's would have this on every pitcher in their organization as well as those they are considering trading for.  If not, the OP should send in a resume' ASAP

I'm sure Dipoto has all of this data and more. I sent it to Dipoto more so to compliment the writer, and so he can appreciate the statistical analysis that us fans understand and incorporate into our evaluation of players.

WOW,

Robert, thanks for the analysis.  That was well done.

I only hope that the Angel braintrust do their research as well as you did with this one before making trades.

Thanks Eligrba, I appreciate the compliment! :D

As I mentioned in the article I only researched this subject because I wanted to understand why from a sabermetric viewpoint Dipoto and staff made this decision to acquire Santiago and I certainly think his pitch movement was one important factor. The fact that Hector is a lefty and seems to suppress opponent's batting average well are other pluses in his favor. The more I look at this the more pleased I am by the trade. Santiago still has a lot of work to do but the raw talent and pitch quality is there, it is just a matter of incrementally improving his game over time and teasing out that ability.

I actually think there are some front offices that still don't actively embrace and use analytic systems, data mining and other scientific-based tools to identify player value. Teams like the Phillies and Mariners would be two that don't seem to use sabermetrics as well as teams like the Rays and Cardinals do for instance.

Thanks for the kind words as well maximus, I appreciate it!

Edited by ettin

Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Price, Davidson, Angels

By Zach Links [December 21 at 2:07pm CST]

On this date in 2009, the Yankees were assessed with a luxury tax of $25.69MM for its spending.  The World Series champion club was the only team to be penalized this year for crossing the salary threshold, as it was in all seven years since the tax was initiated by the collective bargaining agreement in 2002.  Now in 2013, there are multiple clubs paying the luxury tax, headlined by the Dodgers, and the Yankees are working to stay beneath the $189MM threshold.  More from around baseball..

I stopped reading when I saw the right-handed pitcher image.

I'm kidding, of course.  Amazing information you have given us!  These are the kind of posts I love to read...on the toilet!  Can't wait.  Now, gimme some food so I can get to reading.

Editor FAIL (that's on me). Fixed! :-)