• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mets Have Moved on From Drew, Looking for SS via Trade

SigBaby

Trade Aybar, Jepson, Blanton to NY for Niese and another player.

Sign Stephen Drew for SS.

Trade Howie for some pitching prospects

Sign Choo.

Get the banner ready.

Rotation-

Weaver

Wilson

Niese

Richards

Skaggs

Bullpen-

Frieri

Santiago

Smith

DDLR

Burnett

Moran

Salas

Lineup-

Calhoun- DH

Choo- RF

Trout- CF

Pujols- 1B

Hamilton- LF

Freese- 3B

Drew- SS

Conger- C

Lindsey- 2B

annnd I wake up from my dream.

Not sure I'd want Niese. He's a solid pitcher but this past year he dealt with a partially torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder. Shoulder woes are a huge red flag for pitchers, moreso than elbow issues. The fact that he rehabbed/rested rather than get surgery on it worries me of it completely giving out at some point...possibly this upcoming season

Of course, if they were to get Rafael Montero in the deal as well....then I'm all for it. Good upside and would help add depth in case Niese does get hurt

Choo hitting leadoff would be stellar.  Another .400+ OBP, good baserunning, table setting (along with Kole Calhoun) for Trout, Pujols and Hamilton.  Would he cost us a pick?  With this type of offense in place, you could sacrifice Howie and Aybar (or one or the other) for kids up the middle.  A defensive-minded SS like Romine could easily be covered with a strong 1-7  or 1-8.  Have a competition for the SS and 2B jobs in my opinion.

Two other points. 

1.  If you trade Howie and Aybar now for minor league arms, you save nearly $18 million.  That is money that can immediately be given to Mike Trout.  That is money well invested.

2.  We don't have to win immediately.  We want to, no doubt.  But this isn't a sprint.  By obtaining strong, high upside arms, we create a minor league pitching reservoir that should start funding the major league team within the next year or two.  If we can get to the playoffs with the team we've created in the interim, great, but at the same time we create more potential for the future.  This is the balance that the Angels should be striving for.

While I can't imagine us trading three big parts of our offense, we still do match up well with the Mets considering they just signed Colon to a two year deal and Jeremy Hefner. 

If Aybar + Kohn/Jepsen could net us Niese, Rafael Montero, and Ruben Tejada would you do it? Imagine then signing Matt Garza. Something would have to be done about SS, but even a platoon there between Romine and Tejada would be well worth Niese and Montero IMO. Tejada is not a bad hitter against lefties (career .296/.367/.368)

1. Weaver

2. Wilson

3. Garza

4. Niese

5. Richards

Skaggs

Santiago

Montero

As long as we're throwing things out there.

Forget Niese. Arm troubles a coming. 

Forget Tejada. Let them take out their own trash. 

Aybar, Kohn and a decent PTBNL for Gee and Montero or forgetaboutit

Don't start off insulting them with the Blanton/Jepsen crap. We need to take out our own trash. 

Weaver

Wilson

Gee

Garza

Richards

Frieri

Santiago

Montero

Smith

DDLR

Burnett

Moran

Skaggs and Salas start in AAA.

Or how about Aybar and Freese for Wright?

Edited by Jim

Mets need bullpen arms, want to move Eric Young back to second, and most importantly need a SS.

How about looking at a slightly bigger trade:

Aybar, Lindsey, Rasmus, Kohn for Daniel Murphy, Niese, Montero. Murphy seems to be a Scioscia player: he's versatile, plays hard, and has speed. Plus he's not a bad hitter: Shuck but with 15 homer potential. Also if Aybar were to get traded, would a Romine/Jimenez platoon work? Jimenez can't be that bad at short seeing as he's a good fielding 3b and Sosh shifted him to SS a couple times last year.

Then sign Garza and this team would be set

1. Trout CF

2. Calhoun RF

3. Pujols 1b

4. Hamilton LF

5. Kendrick 2b

6. Freese 3b

7. Murphy DH

8. Conger C

9. Jimenez/Romine SS

Ianetta, Green, Jimenez/Romine, Shuck

1. Weaver