• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Point/Counterpoint: Banning Plate Collisions

AngelsWin.com

I say we let the players and teams decide how to handle this aspect of player safety as well.

I'd rather let the players decide the game than "top men".

This rule change will not happen without approval from MLB and the Players Association. The players and owners will be the ones who decide so each of you will get exactly what you're asking for. 

Catchers take advantage of being armored tanks at the plate and will stand in direct line to the only way a runner can score. So where is the line you draw here? If you would complain about a first baseman in the base path why not a catcher?

I think the same rules apply, get the hell out of the runners way and allow them to reach base safely. Anything less is the first baseman/catcher interfering with the runners right to the bag/plate and they do so at their own risk. Any rule that contends with that basic part of the game is not in the best interest of the sport.

This is where I stand on it. I have never understood why catchers have been allowed to block the plate, wearing all that padding, when the same conduct by a fielder at any other base would be ruled interference and the runner would be safe. I don't need to see a catcher knocked unconscious in order to enjoy a baseball game.

What concerns me the most about this rule change is the implementation. I don't want the game stopped for 20 minutes while the umpires review 5,000 replay angles to decide whether something violated the rule. The NFL has gotten to the point that games are almost unwatchable due to all the plays "under review", and the NCAA isn't far behind in that regard.

Great article!!!!!!!

This is a better write up than anything else out there I have seen.

I have umped High School and Jr College ball the last 15 years and during that time the rules have changed a lot. Initially catchers could block. Then they could only block if the ball was already in flight to them. Then they could only block if they had the ball. Now they are "supposed" to only stand in front of the plate.

This really should not be too difficult.

If the catcher is in front of the plate and gives the runner a path to the plate, runner should not be allowed to hit him. If the catcher is blocking the plate, runner has a right to the plate and can mow him over. 

Leave it up to the catcher. The ump's discretion on a collision would be whether or not the catcher  was blocking the plate. 

Edited by Erstad Grit

This was tremendous. I preferred Nates argument but I agree with Glen on this. I don't think we should have home plate collisions. I consider myself old school in a lot of ways. Things like pitching inside, protecting your team mates and retaliation. I just don't think a guy should be blocking the plate without the ball, nor do I think a player should go out of his way to murder a catcher. It will be one of those judgement calls that will be blown a couple times a year. One thing I would add to this is if some player goes Albert Belle ala Fernando Vina on someone that player should be suspended for a very long time.

good stuff guys,

I agree with stromngt's posted comments -- there's virtually no way to enforce this rule consistently.

I think the rule should stand as is and if the ump thinks there's a deliberate effort to knock out the catcher on a play where's it's not a close play, then he can call the runner out and eject him.

I think they do that now -- and while it's difficult to articulate in a rule, everyone knows when they see it........

otherwise, just barring home plate collisions sort of makes it a game other than baseball.......

with these kind of rules being considered and put it place, it just reminds me why I've come to the conclusion that the only real sports and athletes left are hockey players and rodeo riders......I was at NFR live Monday and in Vegas better part of the week -- guys get bucked off and knocked around and they're good to go the next ride........one guy was carried off in a stretcher and was still 'probable' for the next day..........

Now that it has been a couple of days I can post this...

I was just trying to be entertaining. In the end I don't care that much. Erstad's hit was pretty unnecessary. It basically ended Estrada's career.

Oh great!  Next thing you'll be tell us is that there's no Santa! 

Storm has a great point. The consistency of enforcement. It could turn into MLBs version of charging/blocking fouls or PI vs unwatchable throw in the other sports where officiating influences the outcome of the games in favor of certain teams. Personally I am not so sure there really is much of an issue with collisions anyway.

I play Adult league and the accepted rule in most leagues is a "Must slide at home" rule. Catchers are still allowed to block the plate, but if a runner doesnt slide when there is a play he is out. This protects catchers from major injury but doesnt give runners a free lane to the plate. I really think MLB messed up by taking the plate away from catchers. That is the legacy of their position and what is taught to kids as soon as they put gear on. Block the plate. As entertaining as it is to watch a catcher get steamrolled on a bang bang play, the risk of ending a career just isnt worth it. The gear is to protect catchers from balls, not a running back charging at full speed.

People are really complicating the issue. Umpires rarely have to enforce the blocking rule at other bases, so why would it turn into a huge problem at home? All the catcher has to do is refrain from standing in the base path when he doesn't have the ball.  

MLB should have adhered to the rulebook and prohibited blocking and collisions in the first place.