• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who is in the Starting Rotation in 2014: Skaggs or Santiago

VariousCrap

This was a discussion in one of the Garza threads and I thought it deserved its own thread. 

Assuming the Angels sign someone for the #3 spot, who do you think ends up in the starting rotation in 2014, Santiago or Skaggs?

I'm sure the final decision will be determined by how they pitch in Spring Training, but it is an interesting "problem" for Sosh to have going into the season.

I can see both sides of the argument:

Skaggs in the rotation and Santiago in the bullpen would seem like a smart move because it gives you a #5 starter with upside and a good bullpen arm.  If Skaggs lives up to his potential, this is a fantastic move.

On the other side, I think trading Trumbo for a starting pitcher and relief pitcher makes that trade look more weak than it does trading Trumbo for two starters.  Also, Skaggs is a huge ? at this time as a starter.  Don't the Angels already have one of those in Richards?  Do the Angels really want to go into 2014 with two pitchers who are not guarantees?  Santiago proved last year he can be a solid starter, so it could make sense for Santiago to start in the rotation and Skaggs take some more time in the minors.

Any other thoughts?

I agree with almost everything said in the OP. In 2014, I'm confident that Santiago will do reasonably well starting, but I don't have much confidence in Skaggs as a starter at the beginning of the season. However, I think Skaggs has more potential than Santiago as a starter. I'm confident that Richards will have a good season. Last season, he gained a lot of experience and put up decent numbers (he really improved when he was put back into the starting lineup for the last couple months of the season). 

Shoemaker is still a nice option to have either as a spot starter or in long relief. The guy has proven he can handle a

heavy workload as indicated by his innings pitched in 2011 (177.1), 2012 (210.1) and 2013 (202). Those innings are combined for winter ball in 2012 and playoffs and one start with the Angels in 2013. If he has a great spring, I think he deserves consideration for a roster spot until proven otherwise. Depth is a great problem to have.

Shoemaker is still a nice option to have either as a spot starter or in long relief. The guy has proven he can handle a

heavy workload as indicated by his innings pitched in 2011 (177.1), 2012 (210.1) and 2013 (202). Those innings are combined for winter ball in 2012 and playoffs and one start with the Angels in 2013. If he has a great spring, I think he deserves consideration for a roster spot until proven otherwise. Depth is a great problem to have.

I like Shoemaker as well.  I would imagine he'll be a full time starter by 2015.

Here is a question for those who follow guys in the minors more than I do:

Of Santiago and Skaggs, who has the higher ceiling???

Skaggs has a top of the order ceiling, a #2. Or at least he did when in the minors. Santiago was thought of more as a back-of-the-rotation arm, but he might end up (eventually) in a high leverage bullpen role.